Console logs-Why taking up so much room?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darcim, Jul 21, 2008.

1. darcim macrumors newbie

I did a search on my computer to see what files I had that were over 1 GB. It brought up several log files. I did more research, and it turns out they are console logs??? I go into my HD, then library, logs, console, and there they are! In two days I go from over 70 GB on my computer to under 30 GB!!! Why are these files so large, and am I able to completely trash this Console program off my computer, or disable it so these logs are no longer created?? It is driving me crazy!!! Thanks!

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

the log files are suppose to automatically rotate, up to 7 or 8 log files before the old ones start being deleted.

how old is the oldest log you have?

3. darcim thread starter macrumors newbie

ha ha ha.... I don't know because I keep deleting them. I just deleted yesterdays logs, and they were 17 GB! If I went 7 or 8 days I wouldn't have any available space left! :(

4. crackpip macrumors regular

Did you take a look at the logs? It sounds like some process is logging errors very rapidly. See if you can figure out which one is causing the problem. I have had this happen to me before. Don't let your HD fill-up. Unix does not deal well with a full HD.

crackpip