Console, Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TCrowe, Aug 1, 2014.

1. TCrowe macrumors member

TCrowe

I am running a MacPro with Snow Leopard. Last night I purchased a new Domain name, "sculptmud.com", for the purposes of doing live software procedures so that mistakes I made would not stop my main site or cause a server crash on my domain.

I knew going in that the new URL would have to Propagate but was surprised that it took the server down for my main site also. The question I have is why? Not worried about it just don't understand the specifics of my main site being unavailable while the new domain propagated. I want to gain more knowledge and so I am here.

Also, the tech gave me some code to enter into the Mac console in case I couldn't get back into my main site. I have never used the console and would like to better understand the do's and don't's of the console. why would I use the console if the machinations are happening on the server side. Clear the cache? Makes sense that the cache may contain some data that could, potentially I suppose, be a part of all this.

Having never used the console as it is a very powerful part of the Macs core I din't think twice about coming here to gain some knowledge about these items that I am ignorant of. Should you want to know the code he gave me I can post it here after you let me know you would like to see it. It's somewhere in my emails and I have a lot of them. Glad to find it and post it should it help the context of this post.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did they perhaps have you run the commands listed here to flush the DNS cache so you would pickup the new DNS info for the site?

You are right to be cautious in Terminal. Type in the wrong thing and you can bring down the whole system.

There are what are called "man" (manual) pages for each command that can be run in Terminal. They are all listed here.

3. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

It was simple and to the point, lookupd -flushcache. My hesitation was me. Turns out that I called support a few hours after I posted here and my new URL was not placed in its own IP and caused some conflicts. They are addressing that error now but my main site is still down. Follow with me with the rest of the previous post as there were more questions than just this one.

Your follow up would be appreciated also. How do I "think" concerning the console? I do run fsck -fy every now and then then to bring the computer up to speed.

4. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

They did send me to a Maverick site but I am running Snow Leopard. That is why I got the external HDD. So i could back up my Mac and then change the OS. Every time I installed a new OS it wipes out everything that came before.

Now I have all the system backed up.

I don't know why they sent me to a Maverick site without asking me what OS I was running. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they are quite busy.

The console I had read about when I first got the Mac about 8 years ago. I always try to find the warnings in the text so I know what I do and don't know. I am a firm believer in the "knowing just enough to get oneself in trouble" about something.