Console Messages (how to fix)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SebZen, Nov 28, 2009.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

What do these messages mean and how can I fix them? They don't cause any problems but I'm really OCD about this type of stuff :p

Disk Utility shows no issues.

I'd really like to fix them!

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Unless specific problems you notice can be traced to them, I don't know if there's any reason to do anything. I've seen the first one on my machine, FWIW. Do you use Kerberos for anything?

3. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

I'm glad. ;)

Kerberos is a network authentication protocol. It's installed with OS X, and it's probably buried somewhere in either /Library or ~/Library.

I have played with the 2d dock that is a hidden preference in Leopard (I guess it still is in SL?), but that's the extent of anything I've done to the dock.

In a terminal:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

killall Dock
    To disable:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO

killall Dock

5. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible to restart the dock without rebooting? I think I've read that the first error is related to modifying the dock.

killall Finder doesn't restart the dock for me (haven't done the other two commands because I changed the dock's skin a while ago with a program)

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

killall Dock, is the command you are looking for....because I gave the wrong command. Must be sleepy :eek: Sorry 'bout that.

7. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Nope, doesn't appear to be because of the skin change. I get this error the first time I right click on the dock after boot up. Restarting the dock and right clicking it without a reboot doesn't produce the error.

As far as Kerberos, I think it is a normal error. When I restarted the dock it gave me an error in console that the dock exited with exit code: 1, same as with Kerberos. Since I don't use Kerberos I'm guessing that it launches Kerberos by default on all systems at boot, but when it sees I don't use it it simply quits.

8. mac2x macrumors 65816

No problem. :)

I just searched my Console and turned up nothing related to Kerberos. Perhaps someone else can shed light on that one.

9. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Fixed Kerberos by deleting the file com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist :cool:

Still at a loss about the first message. Google turns up nothing (just a bunch of unrelated posts that by incident include that error, seems quite common). It only happens once, and it happens after a boot, when I right click the dock for the first time.

10. mac2x macrumors 65816

Just a word of caution; be careful deleting things like that. You can screw up your computer royally.

11. serpient4 macrumors newbie

"Fixed Kerberos by deleting the file com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist
    "

if you are looking for a better way to deactivate the service:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist

it might happen that when you just delete a file out of this directory, the corresponding agent does not get startet even after you put it back (i had this problem with com.apple.SystemUIServer.plist).

be very careful when deleting files from this directory