Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I have a 10 year old son. Considering a console system for him this holiday. We have a Wii, but I don't know enough about Xbox vs. PS3.
I get that both connect to the net and can do lots of different things there. My biggest question is HD space. How much do you really need? The 4GB Xbox, it that just ram or is it a HD? Can you add a HD? If so, does it have to be an xbox drive or can you get any HD on the market?

Any thoughts or suggestions on which is "better" (I know that this question is a bit of a personal preference).

Last question, what are the basic must have's to start a system that are not included with the system or bundles.

THanks much.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What systems does his friends have? Often the biggest reason to choose one over another is because of friends.

I have a PS3 and have had no issues with it. One great thing about it is that you don't have to pay to play games online. I have 40GB and it's been enough for me. Besides, the HD is very easily upgradeable (I think it isn't in X360).

tomszr2

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
I have a PS3 with a 320 gig hd. Upped the original 160 gig -very easy. Do you have a blu-ray player? New software version added support for 3D movies, just add 3D TV. I hear that Xbox has more 1st person shooters and PS3 has more sports games. Xbox has more games overall. PS3 has built in web browser, Xbox used to have it as an add-on. Check both of thier websites for accurate specs. I got mine back when Circuit City shut down, plus all the accessories for about 40% off everything.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Look at the exclusives and what his friends have. My opinion is that the PS3 is better, but that's because I prefer the exclusives and free online (though I do own both). The 4 gig 360 is a 4 gig HDD, which is next to nothing if he is going to be online and downloading DLC and demos etc. And to upgrade the 360 HDD you need to buy one made for the 360, the PS3 can use any laptop HDD which is another plus for it. But in the end get whatever console has the most games he wants and what his friends have.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
The only advantage to the XBOX 360 is Halo. If you don't plan on playing Halo then get a PS3.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
The only advantage to the XBOX 360 is Halo. If you don't plan on playing Halo then get a PS3.

That is your opinion. While I kind of agree (the main reason I have my 360 is for Halo, and I think the PS3 has more exclusives that are to my liking), there's also the controller you might prefer, and a lot of other exclusive games like Gears of War, Fable, Mass Effect (which is coming to the PS3 soon, but not the first one), not to mention all the downloadable titles, some of which are really good.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
That is your opinion. While I kind of agree (the main reason I have my 360 is for Halo, and I think the PS3 has more exclusives that are to my liking), there's also the controller you might prefer, and a lot of other exclusive games like Gears of War, Fable, Mass Effect (which is coming to the PS3 soon, but not the first one), not to mention all the downloadable titles, some of which are really good.

I agree the controller is better. I am not really into gaming and I have an XBOX 360 and I rarely play it. In fact I only play it if I am with people and we are bored. And the only games I have besides Halo are Modern Warfare 2 and Gears of War 2. I must tell you though because my XBOX 360 is a Halo 3 edition and it was kinda just an impulse buy a long time ago. I have never got into the XBOX arcade or Zune marketplace at all so I do not really know what to say about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.