Consolidate Masters: iPhoto to Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by downingp, Nov 5, 2011.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I followed the tutorial on the Apple website on how to move my iPhoto library over to Aperture 3 as seen here: http://www.apple.com/aperture/iphoto-to-aperture/how.html
    After verifying the transfer worked, I "consolidated masters for library" as in step 5. Everything seemed to work fine, however when I look at both the info for the Aperture library it shows ~100 gb and the iPhoto library still shows ~50 gb. I thought Consolidating the masters moved everything from iPhoto and put it in Aperture.
    I certainly don't want to lose any images I have taken if I delete the iPhoto library.
    Can anyone help explain?

Thanks.

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Open your iPhoto library in Finder and see what is taking up the space.

I would think that iPhoto didn't erase the photos. So you now have the same photos in both Aperture and iPhoto.

The reason Aperture takes up more space might be because of thumbnails and the previews. Depending on the quality you select, previews can be HUGE!

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

My entire iPhoto library was ~150gb so I can see where Aperture can have ~100 and iPhoto ~50gb. I am wondering if all of the files didn't transfer over.

----------

I just looked at the package contents in the iPhoto library and it looks like there is ~45gb in the "preview" folder and ~3gb in the "thumbnail" folder.

Is this of any importance?

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

No. Those will be generated by Aperture again.

If you can keep your iPhoto library for a couple of weeks, it would be ideal. This way you can start using Aperture and have time to notice if any photo is missing. But from what you say, every photo should have migrated correctly.