Consolidating all photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pilsbury1981, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Pilsbury1981 macrumors member

Hi all

I currently have all my photos saved across iPhoto, Aperture 3 & Lightroom 4. They are all saved on my iMac's HD. Is there a way to export all the photos into 1 file on an external drive but still have both iPhoto and Lightroom access the same folder? If not how do i export all the files off my iMac into a format that 1 of the programs can use?

Hope that makes sense???
    Thanks for all responses.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're talking about two (three technically with aperture) different applications. I'd pick one application and stick with it. This will greatly simplify your work flow.

I prefer Aperture because it can hold all my images in its library container file. I don't have to manage the images via reference. My workflow is that I easily move the Aperture library off my laptop onto my DAS every January so I have a new library every year.

Lightroom doesn't do this as easily and I prefer not managing the files that way. I'm not hating LR, but Aperture fits my needs better.

tl;dr you're better off sticking with LR, or iPhoto or Aperture don't try to use all of them

3. Pilsbury1981 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. How do i lift all my photo's out of the programs and put them into the one (say aperture)? Do i have to export them all into a file and then put them all into the chosen program? is there a quick way to move them?