Consolidating in iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sum 2 Three, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Sum 2 Three macrumors newbie

Hello, I've got 2 question relating to iChat 4.0.5

-I've been using iChat solely for AIM. I've just created a Google Talk account and signed into it via iChat which, in turn, connects via Jabber. iChat now has two windows open; one for AIM and one for Jabber (Google Talk). My first question is this: is there any way to consolidate these two windows into one?

-My girlfriend uses YahooIM (she's the only one I know who does). I've been using Yahoo's client to talk to her. I understand that iChat can be used to communicate via YahooIM protocol, and I've found various guides to doing so. The guides that I've found are quite old and so my second question is this: what is currently the best way to talk to people using YahooIM via iChat? (and no, she refuses to change clients as her friends use YahooIM :confused:)

Thanks

2. martinmartin macrumors 6502

3. devburke Guest

The Chax plugin for iChat (http://ksuther.com/chax/) is basically a necessity, as it provides a ton of useful features to iChat, including a unified All Contacts window. It doesn't feel like a big piece of bloat though, it works so well you forget it's there. I'd recommend it to anyone using iChat.

As for as I know, there's no proper way for iChat to work with Yahoo. There may be workarounds though. She's probably best off using Adium rather than iChat. I prefer iChat + Chax, but many people prefer Adium, which is an open-source chat program known for being compatible with a ton of different chat services.

4. Sum 2 Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Chax is pretty cool, thanks for the tip. The first question is answered in full.

As for the second question... I'd be fine with a good workaround. It's just that all of the guides to workarounds I have found are quite old and rather unwieldy, and I'm hoping that someone can point me to a particularly good/up to date method.

Thanks