Consolidating iTunes Library

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coday183, Dec 29, 2008.

1. coday183 macrumors newbie

Well I made the common move of putting my library on an ext hd. First one was a portable 500gb freeagent, and also I put it in a folder in my 1.5tb time machine drive. Tonight I am updating the second, and I think I'm noticing a problem, but not sure. First of all, when I move my library locatation in preferences to the ext. drive in preferences, and do consolidate library the "info" on a few of the songs still shows a filepath leading to the built in hard drive on my mac (the original library). Also, when I perform the Library>consolidate library function it seems like it copies all of the files that are already on the drive, too. So they only appear in itunes once but they appear in the actual folder more than once, in appended form.

Anyone else think this is unnormal. How do you manage a library on mulitple drives? The original reason I did this was to clear some space on my macbook's hard drive, but I'm always too scared to delete the files on it.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've done this before. Trying to consolidate your library doesn't work. What I do is this:
    • Open iTunes's preferences
    • Make sure keep library organized is checked
    • Quit iTunes
    • Copy the library to the new location
    • Relaunch iTunes
    • Change the iTunes Music folder to the new location
    • Let iTunes update its library
    • Answer yes when it asks you if it should organize its files