Conspiracy Theory (Asian Scalpers / Backlighting)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JayHD, Mar 25, 2011.

1. JayHD macrumors member

Let me preface this by saying that I have absolutely no problem with anyone of any nationality earning additional income through an international grey market. While this practice may run afoul of US trade/export laws, it's virtually unenforceable, so more power to them.

My question is - Why would Apple create an enviornment in which this kind of scalping can occur? Since they know they can sell out their stock daily, wouldn't it be more sensible to have a "one purchase / ID required" system instead of the current "two per customer, come daily if you wish" policy that's in place now, to keep their loyal customers happy? I mean, they've restricted purchases with many of their previous iOS devices.

Here's my theory:

Apple identified the backlighting problems around the time of the iPad 2 announcement. Hundreds of thousands of units, or more, had already been produced. Internal risk modeling estimates a significant percentage of American buyers will return their units during the one-year replacement period. Apple realizes their profits could be crippled by issuing too many replacements.

HOWEVER - Someone points out that many of the early units will end up being shipped overseas. Very, very few of these - if any - will be returned to Apple under warranty. So Apple decides, internally and unofficially, to make it very easy for foreign buyers to purchase multiple units, as often as they wish. These units will not need to be replaced. More $$ for our benevolent Apple overlords.

Whaddya think?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think that's a ridiculously paranoid theory to be honest

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

They had a similar policy with the ipad one until everyone complained and now they changed it where you can pay cash and people complain again

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

One small flaw in that theory. Apple's warranties are global; foreign buyers can take their American iPad into their local(ish) Apple Store or any Apple Service Center to send for free warranty repairs.

5. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

I would agree that it's somewhat unlikely, but certainly not "ridiculous".

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

As the originator of your theory, of course you don't think it is ridiculous. Me on the other hand......lol

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but add me to the tally of thinking this is pretty ridiculous.

and the thing is, not only is is completely unprovable one way or the other, it also really doesn't make a bit of difference whether it is true or not.

9. IbisDoc macrumors 6502

Sounds totally ridiculous, but since Apple's US launch was also totally amateurish and ridiculous, I guess anything's possible.

10. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

saving107 - How the helll did you get a picture of me?
    At least it's a good pic. My owner looks so happy, holding me like that.

Meow...

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Trust me, for the thought processes involved in your post "ridiculous" was mild criticism.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

I thought this was MacRumors not MacPostWhateverBull@#$%YouCan.

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Macrumors = Maybe Another Conspiracy Rumor Unlike Many Others Readily Searchable

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

:D

[​IMG]

15. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I am always amazed by anyone who can come up with acronyms "on the fly".

16. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

What exactly makes this theory 'ridiculous' or 'unbelievable'? I'm not saying it's the truth, because honestly none of us are privy to Apple's internal workings, but it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

19. 482214 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines came about in conversation at some point behind closed doors.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is quite the fool... But to each his own.