Conspiracy w/Apple and rumor sites?!?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mathwhiz90601, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

I think there might be a conspiracy between Apple and some rumors sites. The more "reliable" rumors sites (like MR and AI) have a feed from Apple that creates rumors for them to pass on that are in Apple's best interests. Others, like TS (maybe :apple: has a grudge against them for publishing real stuff a few years back) don't have a feed, so they just guess wildly.

Say what you think.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think our job would be a lot easier if we did have a direct feed from Apple.

3. calculus Guest

calculus

I think you are wrong...

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

MacRumors publishes rumors from a wide variety of sources and 99% of the time MR reports on stories that are publically available elsewhere.

You conspiracy theory may need some work. ;)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some MacRumors stories might be considered good for Apple, while some are clearly not. For example, Apple may like to see interest build about new products, while at the same time not wanting rumors of new product releases to harm current sales. MacRumors' best interests and Apple's best interests aren't the same.

MacRumors posts stories that are from sources thought to be modestly reliable and/or of interest to a widespread audience in the Apple community. That doesn't rule out the possibility that some of these sources are influenced by Apple's interests, or even fed stories by Apple. But I don't know of such cases, and I know MacRumors isn't knowingly influenced by or participating in a conspiracy.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The conspiracy feed works through the private forums, but they're so full of spam about granny panties and mankinis that no one ever sees the posts Apple leaves us about the multi-touch iMac that will be coming out on September 4th, the new iPods due out in October, or the reminder with the tracking number for the iPhone Nano that they sent me.

Oh, crap. Never mind this post. :eek:

P.S. The true purpose, now that you've elucidated it, of the private forums is so that one of us can type in a reply saying "4 8 15 16 23 42" every 108 minutes and press the execute button. :) If we don't do that, One Infinity Loop will be sucked into itself by the reality distortion field, and implode. :(

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope, MacRumors(using that as an example) sometimes post things Apple doesn't want up(the latest iPod video)...and later look it down.

Clear Apple didn't want that up, MR did

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Half the time people inside Apple don't have a clue about what is happening at other parts of the company (case in point: apparently the AppleCare team have almost zero contact with the hardware team) so I really doubt this.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

OMFG!!! It's a conspiracy! All Mac users should start wearing tin foil hats! It is the end!

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh really. Then how is it you have the only multi-touch avatar?

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

OMG!!W00T!!LOL!!

I've been wondering the same thing for a week now.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That has nothing to do with Apple contacts. I used a time machine to pick it up off my future profile page.

13. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

And you concluded this from the fact that the 2 different groups of websites you have identified always publish different rumors, and the rumors published by the conspiring websites turn out to be true or always in Apple's interests? Oh, wait, except that doesn't happen.

I think you need to re-work your theory. Try to weave in the grassy knoll and 9/11 this time.

14. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

That showed up as a phone number on my iphone...

Hmmm....

15. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I think Apple intentionally leaks. Why else would they get pissed off enough to sue sometimes and not others. (Think Secret still has a lawsuit by Apple trying to find their source)

I point to the G5 leak with the website error. Yeah, like I really believe that was an accident. That was all to breathe air into the sails of the upcoming macworld keynote.

I admit, however, that it's just a suspicion. Apple's all about their hype machine, there's actually no reason to think they wouldn't do this.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

All that I gleaned from this post was "multi touch panties".

That said, I wouldn't be stunned if Apple feeds the rumor markets to control spin and hype (anonymously of course).