Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Hi,
I have the new iPad.
I keep getting the pop up "You have not signed up for a data plan, would you like to set up a new account?"

I keep saying "Later" - but I keep getting that pop up every couple of hours. There doesn't seem to be an way to just say "No" or shut off those notifications.

Any ideas?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Sadly, I succumbed and signed up for the data plan. Also, you can sign up for T-Mobile 200mb free a month and then turn off cellular data. That would work.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There was some discussion about this earlier. Right now the only ways to get rid of the annoying pop ups are to (1) remove the Apple SIM (other SIMs will not show this behavior), or (2) sign up for a plan, e.g. the free T-Mobile "200MB for life".

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
As mentioned above, taking out the SIM is the easiest way to get rid of these nagging notifications.

bornjr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Virginia
As mentioned above, taking out the SIM is the easiest way to get rid of these nagging notifications.

I tried doing this, and then I get a message saying there is no SIM card installed. I can't get it to stop either one of these messages, they pop up constantly. :(

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I tried doing this, and then I get a message saying there is no SIM card installed. I can't get it to stop either one of these messages, they pop up constantly. :(

It's easy, cheap and a good idea to sign up for the t-mobile 200 free Meg's of data per month for life. The most it can cost is 10 dollars for the sim, or wait for a promotion and get it free like I did. I have the sim for my iPad Air that stays home on wifi. If I ever take it out, I have the free data if needed.
It actually was good to have after a big storm that knocked out ATT (my home wifi) for almost a day.
Having that active sim in your iPad will stop the pop ups. Just leave it off.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've always had the option to disable cellular data in Settings - Cellular Data - Cellular Data. That said, I'd just sign up for the 200MB free plan with T-Mobile if I were you.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I succumbed and signed up for the t-mobile 5GB for $10 to get rid of the constant reminder. Will use it while I am travelling over the holidays. Once that ends I will continue to get the free 200mb per month. I would have preferred to sign up with AT&T because there LTE speeds are so much higher in my area, but I am boycotting them since they lock the Apple Sim. Figure I can always pick up an AT&T sim later if I need it and the 200mb for free from T-mobile is nice to have. Also have the free 200mb on my iPad mini 2.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've always had the option to disable cellular data in Settings - Cellular Data - Cellular Data. That said, I'd just sign up for the 200MB free plan with T-Mobile if I were you.

THIS^^^

I get this message on the cellualr iPad that I do not keep service on after an update. It usually toggles the Cellular into the ON position and triggers this request to sign up for a data plan.

All I have ahd to do is turn off cellular data and never see the message again.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I think this is a shortcoming of the Apple SIM as I never had this sort of issue with a carrier specific SIM. Not sure if it was it intentional or not.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
THIS^^^

I get this message on the cellualr iPad that I do not keep service on after an update. It usually toggles the Cellular into the ON position and triggers this request to sign up for a data plan.

All I have ahd to do is turn off cellular data and never see the message again.

This wont work on the new iPad Air 2 with IOS 8 as Apple has taken away the ability to turn off the cellular like you used to be able to. Apple profits over your desires again folks! I intended to use this tablet via a hotspot to my phone while travelling. Apple has just continually focused their efforts on maximizing profits and I am done. I tried the iPhone 6 Plus for a month and even though I got a great deal on craigslist ($600.00 for an AT&T 64GB) from a disgruntled guy (one of the throngs that ordered the iPhone 6 the day it was released in hopes of turning a profit) I am selling at a loss after getting my custom Moto X in Cognac leather - Man that thing rocks - Sorry for me the 2007 interface on the iPhone, messy notifications and the fact that the best apps for travel are from Google and semi crippled for use on Apple are deal breakers.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This wont work on the new iPad Air 2 with IOS 8 as Apple has taken away the ability to turn off the cellular like you used to be able to.

Uhm, not true. See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 683

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This wont work on the new iPad Air 2 with IOS 8 as Apple has taken away the ability to turn off the cellular like you used to be able to. Apple profits over your desires again folks! I intended to use this tablet via a hotspot to my phone while travelling. Apple has just continually focused their efforts on maximizing profits and I am done. I tried the iPhone 6 Plus for a month and even though I got a great deal on craigslist ($600.00 for an AT&T 64GB) from a disgruntled guy (one of the throngs that ordered the iPhone 6 the day it was released in hopes of turning a profit) I am selling at a loss after getting my custom Moto X in Cognac leather - Man that thing rocks - Sorry for me the 2007 interface on the iPhone, messy notifications and the fact that the best apps for travel are from Google and semi crippled for use on Apple are deal breakers.

What are you talking about? I own and use two Air 2 units and maybe they are special but I am able to toggle cellular at any time. No wonder people are confused here.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
Uhm, not true. See attached screenshots.

This screenshot does NOT exist on iPad Air 2 with IOS 8 - You have to sign up for a plan to get rid of the nag. These screen shots may be offered after you've signed up or are from another generation of IOS and or iPad. Why propagate nonsense on these forums?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This screenshot does NOT exist on iPad Air 2 with IOS 8

That screenshot was taken on an iPad Air 2 with iOS 8. Specifically, mine.

EDIT: Okay, I see what's going on now. If you have an unactivated Apple SIM, then the screen is replaced with only one option: "Set Up Cellular Data," with no other option to turn off.

Seems you have two options then: set up T-Mobile's free 200MB plan (and then shut off cellular data, if you really insist on it), or remove the Apple SIM.

Even so, this is probably more a function of the Apple SIM than it is iOS8, since once activated, you can then turn cellular data off and on at will.

Last edited:

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I'm totally tortured here.

I have an 18 month old iPad that has never nagged me about cellular data before. Last week I was curious to see who the carrier was for the iPad (just in case I wanted to sign up for cellular data in the future) so I turned cellular data on for just a moment to see that it was Verizon.

Now, even though I've turned cellular data off, the iPad nags me constantly now.

Now that I've awakened the beast, are you saying that I have no choice but to sign up for a plan, only then can I disable this constant nag??!?!?!?

Would restoring it to factory settings and reinstalling stuff work or is this a firmware setting or something?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
You can get Tmobile 200mb free for life.
Why would you turn it off next month?

I can get T-Mobile free for life even if the iPad says its carrier is Verizon? Can I switch carriers by just paying T-Mobile $15 for a sim?

Even if this is doable, it's annoying that Apple has created a device that nags me in perpetuity unless I subscribe to a cellular account with someone. I bought an iPad with cellular in case I wanted it. Not so that I would be forced to get it to stop a constant nagging.

Last edited:

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
This month I purchased iPad mini 2 (retina) that was marked Sprint.

I opened it up at the Tmo store and applied screen cover, removed sim and installed TMo sim.

I believe iPad 2 are carrier locked, not sure if they have all frequencies for others or not.

----------

I see you have new iPad...

Activate your apple sim on Tmo 200mb plan, or but Tmo SIM card for $15 and get the 200mb plan.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I can get T-Mobile free for life even if the iPad says its carrier is Verizon? Can I switch carriers by just paying T-Mobile $15 for a sim?

Even if this is doable, it's annoying that Apple has created a device that nags me in perpetuity unless I subscribe to a cellular account with someone. I bought an iPad with cellular in case I wanted it. Not so that I would be forced to get it to stop a constant nagging.

Sounds like you bought the iPad outright and not through a service provider (on a payment plan). Yes, yank the SIM out and pay $15 to get the TMO SIM, or wait as sometimes they are online for .99 and go to Tmobile store and start service.

Or as someone posted turn off cellular service.

If your new iPad as it looks like it is you are good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.