Constant Beach Balls

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Apr 6, 2010.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

My install of 10.6.3 is a week old. All of my usual programs are back and installed. The reason I reinstalled everything from scratch is that things were running a bit slow. Things are helluvalot faster now, but beach balls are randomly occurring.

I've done some basic troubleshooting, such as repair kext and disk permissions, and running some OnyX scripts. IS there anything else I could try? This is becoming quite annoying. Console doesn't reveal anything (except there are DOZENS of entries for Chromium/Chrome (such as 4/6/10 5:26:29 PM sandboxd[622] Chromium Helper(625) deny mach-lookup com.apple.pasteboard.1). I don't think it's Chromium, since this happens even after rebooting and never running Chromium.

It's not the hard drive. It was scanned for bad sectors, and there were none (unlike my old HDD, which was dying within a few months of purchase).

Any ideas? I'd hate to have to reinstall everything over AGAIN (was definitely worth it though, but I just did this a week ago and don't want to do it again for at least a few more months).

2. briguy21 macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue

I had a very similar issue, I replaced the hard drive with a brand new hard drive and cloned the old drive over to the new one, then ran a disk repair and permission repair on the new drive before booting and the issue was fixed.

Also if you have upgraded your hard to the western digital blue drives that is your issue. Western Digital used to make a good drive, but they suck now. I would buy a Fujitsu, Hitachi, Seagate Drive Apple has been putting Fujitsu drives in there newest macbook pro's with 250 or 320 GIG Drives.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian Robinson

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I've been doing the permission and disk repairs while in OS X through Disk Utility. I'll try booting it from the SL installation DVD instead (since the files that it may have needed to repair aren't in use this time).

This is quite annoying. Will report the results soon.

4. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

5. Arrandale macrumors regular

this is a fairly common issue with 10.6.3

i'd recommend reinstalling 10.6.3 and seeing if it goes away :(

6. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Yeah, that's what a few others told me (reinstall 10.6.3 using the combo update).

7. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Hmm... Could Paragon NTFS be the culprit? NTFS read/write has always been quite buggy on 10.6.x, no matter what one would be using...

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

In this case, I wouldn't be so trustful of Chromium.

A Google search turned up this. Although a Chromium developer says the Console reports shouldn't degrade performance, it looks like folks are saying it is.

I'd try a complete uninstall of Chrome and see if your performance improves. If it does, you've probably nailed down the problem. If it doesn't, then maybe the Chrome developer is right.

mt

9. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I don't think Cinch was the problem anymore, since these problems were still happening. I uninstalled Paragon NTFS 7.0, and everything seems VERY fast.

So I think I can rule Cinch, Chrome, and Chromium out. The developers did say that the Console messages were nothing to worry about, as they appear in Chrome and Chromium. I switched back to Chrome, and the same message come up in Console, which I'm just going to ignore, as they don't do anything wrong.

I'd go back to NTFS-3G, but performance is horribly slow, and the process "ntfs-3g" is ALWAYS reading data from the disc at about 2MB/s, and the process also uses 20~% CPU at ALL times.

So without Paragon NTFS 7.0, everything is PERFECT. I'll give their 8.0 RC a try.