CONSTANT beachball on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walkum13, Jul 6, 2009.

1. walkum13 macrumors newbie

So, I got luckily upgraded to the new Macbook Pro from my 2.4 MB CE due to a loose hinge issue. Screen is amazing but I am constantly getting beachballed. I'll only have Safari open and the system is super slow. Honestly if felt slow out of the box. It's the 2.53 with the 4 GB of Ram. I've tried everything...here's what I did

Reset P and V ram
    Onyx maint
    Reset P and V ram
    iDefrag
    Onyx maint
    Reset P and V ram

I know if I try to get it exchanged their going to give me hell. I'm one step away from doing a clean install but I really dont want to. Any ideas? Please help!

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Look in Activity Monitor to see if anything is hitting your CPU hard. You can sort by that category.

3. walkum13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I am also on Mac-Forums a lot and we/they've been referring to the Unibody Macbooks as CEs as in Collectors edition since they were only produced for a year lol.

I tried looking at the activity moniter and everything was normal. The only thing I can think of was that I changed the name of the HD and user/profile stuff and I think that's causing it. Am I way off?

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

what you could try is diskwarrior 4.1.1 started from extern hdd ...

if this does'nt solve then:

make a backup with superduper and reinstall osX and then migrate your data JUST when you start the "new" osX, not later. (later also possible but not so well)

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

How did you get the data from your Dust Collector to the MBP? Cloned drive? Archive & Install, Migration, or was it a clean install on a clean disk?

6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I'm on these forums quite a bit and I've yet to see Macbook CE widely used..... Think you're on your own with that one mate... lol

On topic, it sounds like your OS is a bit screwed. Either a backup and re-install or take it to a Apple Store and see what they have to say or can do for you.

7. walkum13 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol if you check the Macbook section you'll see it...you just need to look, i's an inside joke.

Anyway, I created a new user login and deleted my old one. The little hiccups are now gone but now the computer takes 3 and a half minutes from start-up to use.

I'm going to go back to the Apple store and ask for my Leopard disk. When I got upgraded they gave me the computer but none of the cds. My macbook one keeps saying "Leopard can't be installed on this Mac." This suuuccckkss

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

check spotlight and see if its busy as heck indexing.

I hope you get it figured out, I have the same machine and it works wonderfully.

9. crchilds macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same computer. Went to the Apple Store for the same problem. They said it was probably the beginning of a hard drive failure. With that said they were going to replace it with a new one, however, they don't have any available. I'm wondering if this is a recurring problem with this model. I would take it back and get it exchanged.

10. walkum13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I figured something is up. I just finished reinstalling OSX and it takes my computer a 1 min and 20 secs to start up. No way it should be this slow without anything on it. I'll try something to figure it out. If you get it replaced and they confirm that's what it is, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

11. walkum13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple confirmed it was the beginning of HD failure. They had an exra one so they just swapped it out. Thanks, you were right.