Constant beeping noise/ no startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kelsmorr, Apr 11, 2015.

1. kelsmorr macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 model # A1278 MBP. I have upgraded the ram from 2gb to 8gb about 1.5 to 2 years ago and never had a problem with my my machine. Just today the screen was frozen and was beeping so I hit the power button. Now it will not boot up, just shows the grey screen and beeps! I know other questions where answered regarding a beeping sequence having to do with ram, but this is no sequence. It is a continuous beep at a rate of about 3 beeps per second. PLEASE HELP!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Error beeps, with no boot, is almost always RAM related.
    Be sure to try reseating the RAM sticks. Take BOTH sticks out, then try a boot. You WON'T get a boot with no memory installed, but the error beeps will be different. (No memory detected is usually one beep per second, repeating)
    If there's NO difference, then you have other problems.
    Possibility of a failed hard drive - and you can remove the hard drive just to check to see if there's a difference with NO hard drive installed. Normally, that should simply be the flashing folder on the screen, but a really failed hard drive might cause full lockups, etc. which MIGHT be the cause of the beeps.

If you don't find anything yet - then I can predict that you need to replace the logic board.

3. kelsmorr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, so I pulled the ram sticks and started up. It did make the no ram detected signal (1 beep every couple seconds), but it also makes the continuous beeping noise. the continuous beeping is a different sound than the ram beep.. It is a much lighter beep which sounds like it is coming from the back of the laptop (perhaps the logics board?) vs the ram beep which is much louder and to me sounds like it is coming from the macbooks speakers?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I have heard that kind of sound from hard drives.
    I don't know if I have ever heard it from a laptop drive, but it seems very possible.
    Try disconnecting the hard drive, and try power on again.