Constant CPU Heat and Fan Working!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saidtezel, Aug 27, 2011.

1. saidtezel macrumors member

Hello guys,
    I've recently been havin this irritating problem with my mid2009 13 mbp. Regardless of the workload on the computer, the fan starts up just after the computer starts, and keeps that way all the time. It's regardless of the OS, i guess, because i've tried it both on lion and bootcamp 7, idle or working, fan works at high rpm all the time.
    the cpu heat is always around 65C, and doing a SMC reset did not help at all. what do u think is the problem? i was thinkin maybe its because the thermal paste is worn out. what would u suggest me on that. plz help, i dont really like this burning out situation
    thx

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

When your run OSX, does it still act the same?
    Or is that just on the 7?

If you are working on lets say mattress or place where it can keep heat in and blocks the vent, that maybe the problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

5. saidtezel thread starter macrumors member

I normally put it on a glass table, which is flat so doesnt block the ventilation.

It's both on 7 and OSX, and neither System or My Processes show anything significant being used. Most of the times CPU is 85% idle and at least 1GB free ram, but still the same problem

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

65C? That's not hot at all, why are you worried, exactly?

The fan whirring away needlessly can be caused by a few things, one of them is a thermal sensor being faulty or disconnected, can you check all sensors are a go using iStat or a similar app?

7. saidtezel thread starter macrumors member

iStat returns temperatures from all internal peripherals, so no problem there
    Ok, i get that 65C is ok for this machine, but how come while its 65 the fan only works around 2000-2500 rpm but when gets up to 70, just jumps through 5000-6000? it's only a 5 degree difference, dont think it needs that much of extra rpm

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you considered using smcFanControl, so you can manually control the fan speed based on the heat that you see.

9. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

65C is not hot for your MBP.

Your fans should not be ramping up high at 65C in fact, they should still be at a minimum speed of 2000 rpm at 65C. Does the mac feel hot to the touch?

10. saidtezel thread starter macrumors member

Well, the upper left corner would always feel hot to touch (something existing since i purchased, which is ive read a characteristic of mid2009 models

i couldn't really manage to set up a max rpm in smcfancontrol, as it only allows to change the minimum rpm. do u know how to change that?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess you missed this:

----------

smcfancontrol doesn't set an upper limit, and you shouldn't try to. Doing so could cause your Mac to overheat.

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yes, i did miss that.