Constant CPU heat worries

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmack549, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Got a question for ya MR...

I got a MBP last week and I love this thing. One question though - I (very lightly) edit HD videos, and they're pretty small - never more than 600 MB. However, when I import into iMovie, they sometimes take as long as an hour and the CPU runs HOT HOT HOT the entire time. Is this a cause for concern? I don't really even know what the iMovie "optimization" is doing, because my MP4 plays perfectly in Quicktime before the import, and comes out lagging.

Anyone have any insight on this, and should I look towards a new video editing software?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What is "hot hot hot"?

What's the temperature of your Mac and are your fans ramping up?

if you don't know the temps, get iStat pro widget

3. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can get as high as 88 C. Fans run at full speed (6200 RMP, I'm guessing that's full as I haven't seen them go higher).

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

88 is hot, but you are doing some intensive work, so I'd say its not really out of line

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If your CPU is hard at work it will heat up. Changing software won't make much of a difference. You're converting video and that's CPU intensive.

6. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I was asking if there's another software out there that doesn't "optimize" (degrade) video quality. I figured an MP4 file wouldn't need any converting on OS X, which is why I bought iMovie.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Video conversion will use all the resources available to it, namely both CPU cores maxed out.

People fail to grasp this simple thing, which to me is a no-brainer: More power being drawn/used = more heat.

It really is that simple.

Your mac can withstands temps up to 105C, your temps are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, if it does overheat, it will throttle itself to prevent damage, and if that still doesn't do it, it will shut down to save itself automatically.

People on this forum should learn to just let their machines do their thing and stop worrying about them needlessly.

Famous words: "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

if your CPU was getting too hot the computer would shut down. Mine randomly hovers around 90C when I am pushing it. It's normal.

9. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

getting to 88 degrees Celsius from watching a video is kind of absurd since my late 2011 2.4GHz MBP rarely gets above 60 :p Of course, when I work and play games, it goes full out. (I saw 91 yesterday, but it doesn't worry me at all!!)

I trust their engineering and design, that's why I bought their product in the first place. XD

Stop worrying, start enjoying!!

Cheers all!!

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It's more complex than that. It's not just the codec and container; the resolution, bitrate, profile and audio br/codec will play a part in whether iMovie will edit your video without "optimisation".

^Right on the money.

iMovie is encoding, no decoding - totally different ball game.

11. TWR Motorsport macrumors member

When it goes over 100 degrees C then start worrying....

Short of that install SMB fan control and make a high rpm setting for when you are doing intensive work so you know the fans are at 6200rpm

It will look after itself