Constant crashes after OS X 10.4 reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zoorgo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Zoorgo macrumors newbie

Ok. So I think I messed up my mac.

A little while ago I needed to do some work on Visual Studio, and, given that I don't have Leopard nor Bootcamp, I decided to partition my disk and install both of them. It worked just fine. Then I got kind of excited. Using the same method (Partition -> Install OS's) I installed XP, OS X and Ubuntu, then just Ubuntu and OS X, then XP, Ubuntu, SuSe and OS X, and then, I just installed OS X.

My problem is that my mac now keeps crashing. I doesn't follow any logic at all; sometimes it crashes with iTunes, sometimes with Firefox, sometimes with Netbeans, with Garageband.... it just keeps crashing and I don't know why.

I think I must've screwed up my hard-drive with all the OS install-reinstall-uninstall...

Also, I don't know if this helps, but my HD volume is now called "Untitled", when, I remember, it used to be called "Macintosh HD"....

Disk permissions are OK and so is the disk (According to Disk Utility).

Any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated by this frustrated chump.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

After all these installs/reinstalls you DID run updates right? You should be running 10.4.11, and when you run Software Update under the Apple menu it should say all your software is up-to-date unless you skipped/ignored the Digital Raw Compatibility updates, and AirPort Utility updates. You may have updates for iTunes/QuickTime, iLife (of which Garageband is a component).

The hard disk can be renamed without any ill effects, so just name it Macintosh HD.

3. Zoorgo thread starter macrumors newbie

I did run system update, and, excluding an iPhoto update (Cannot connect to server), everything worked fine. I am running 10.4.11. Still, it crashes.