Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom
So I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken on iOS 4.1. A few months ago, I started to realise that whenever I went into the Photos app, or even the picture viewer in the Camera app, my phone would just crash and go back to the springboard or even full restart. I think the cause may be that I deleted a photo from my Camera Roll through iFile instead of through the default Photos app, and so it may be corrupt but I'm not 100% on this theory. Any ideas?

Thanks.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Sounds like a valid theory. Empty the iPhone of photos and sync them back

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Sounds like a valid theory. Empty the iPhone of photos and sync them back

Hmm, all the photos that I currently have on my iPhone aren't on my Mac. And they aren't set to sync. So how would I take them off and get them all back onto my Camera Roll? I'd prefer it if they didn't go back to a separate folder after syncing. :/

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Hmm, all the photos that I currently have on my iPhone aren't on my Mac. And they aren't set to sync. So how would I take them off and get them all back onto my Camera Roll? I'd prefer it if they didn't go back to a separate folder after syncing. :/

I've had this a few times now and each time i've had to cut them from the DCIM folder and paste them into another that i usually sync onto the device.

This means they will not show up in the camare roll anymore though, but it does fix the problem.

Only solution i'm afraid.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Hmm, I guess I'll just leave it for now then, I'd rather keep the photos where they are. :/

In the Camara Roll that you can't see as it crashes...good move :confused:

Why not do what i said, that way the Camera will work, camera roll will work and the pics will be on the phone but in a folder underneath Camera Roll called 'Photo Library'.

MauiGideon

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
In the Camara Roll that you can't see as it crashes...good move :confused:

Why not do what i said, that way the Camera will work, camera roll will work and the pics will be on the phone but in a folder underneath Camera Roll called 'Photo Library'.

Could you do a quick step by step how to do this. :eek:

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
The same thing was happening to me after upgrading to 4.2.1 and jailbreaking with GP. I did the same thing Grayburn suggested. I SSH'ed into the DCIM folder (/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/) and opened each image folder (100APPLE, 101APPLE, etc.) and copied the images to my harddrive and into a General folder so they would sync back to my iPhone later. Then I deleted all the images from each image folder (100APPLE, etc.) but left the folders there. That worked fine and after syncing, my Photo app did not crash anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.