Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
So, like a dummy, since sierra is working great on my 2012 rMBP, I go ahead and install it on my home server (2012 mac mini, 16gb ram, 512 ssd samsung 840pro).... I also have an external enclosure attached by usb 3 with 4 4tb drives and an internal 1gb HDD.

and boom everything goes to hell.

Now it's true I run a lot of stuff on the server, and maybe I should have waited... but nothing is mission critical here, and I have all my important documents and media backed up...

anyway, every time I launch safari, or safari is launched by another app (Plex, sickrage, couchpotato...) BOOM screen flashes and I see a login screen. it happens every damn time...

So I already re-installed sierra in place from the recovery boot mode (kept existing settings).

I am looking for some ideas before I do a full wipe, and have to reconfigure all my server crap...

thanks for any input other than "Hope you have a backup! LMFAO LOL ROFL"

*addtional info* it seems to also happen when I try to take any app fullscreen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mufasa804

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Perhaps some of those application preferences need to be recreated? Have you tried deleting the .plist files and relaunching Plex/etc?

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Have you tried running the Mac Mini in Safe Mode and seeing if the crashing persists?

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I got lucky and Sierra downloaded quickly on my 2012 Mac Mini which is a 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD+1TB5400RPM fusion drive.

The only issue I noticed was that VMWare Fusion 7 doesn't work on Sierra. However I already have a license for VM Fusion 8 which got an update to 8.5 and that works on Sierra. It gave me a reason to take the time and upgrade the install on the mini.

I also noticed that the performance of World of Warcraft on it has improved. At graphics settings 3 I was previously only able to get 720P 30FPS but now it can do 1080P 30FPS. That is a huge improvement.

I'm hesitant to allow the new drive features of iCloud to be enabled. For now I disabled it. For one I have the free iCloud account and it would cost money. I'll wait and see how things go with everyone else.

I'm sorry you had to do a fresh install. Getting El Capitan onto my Mac Mini was a real pain. It corrupted my self made fusion drive and I had to reformat it and install it clean. It can be a real pain when the install process tanks. I'm glad you got it sorted out though.

Now if my Late 2015 iMac 5K can just finish downloading the new OS. It has been going for 24 hours now and it is only at 4.13GB. :( I'm hopeful that on it after seeing the improvement on the Mac Mini.

Reactions: wlossw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.