Constant Erroneous Freespace Indicator (SSD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, May 12, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Concerning a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD Drive

So, I've been noticing lately that my freespace indicator value. I compared the values of the total amount of data on the drive and the total capacity of the drive. And yes, I figured in the Lion Recovery drive. I used the terminal command and it was only 650MB. I used OmniDisk to determine the total amount of data on the drive instead of trusting of the used indicator of OSX. Right now, OmniDisk I have 121GB worth of data on a 256GB and OSX is saying that 127GB used. The swap file is 377MB of 1GB currently. Several days ago, my freespace indicator dropped all the way to around 20GB since I had several big files, which I deleted after I was done with them. I must've deleted about 70-90GB worth of files but the freespace just went up to ~40GB. I was trying to do whatever I could do but got lucky with Lion recovery drive and repairing the OSX SSD partition drive. It said something about file structure or something. And after that, the freespace value was exactly what it should be, around 140GB. It jumped from 40GB to 140GB!!

Now, I'm weary that every time the value goes down or do any deletion, it's not being indicated as freespace to OSX. Is this some sort of software issue or hardware issue? Is this normal or is it just me?

2. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756