Constant error messages with ripping movies

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CultHero, Feb 9, 2010.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I have been slowly ripping my movie collection over to use on my Apple TV and what started as a slow but generally reliable process has become one fraught with frustration.

I am using Mac the ripper 2.6.6 to rip my movies to my desktop and then Handbrake 0.9.3 to encode them. I then import the .mp4 into Apple TV using MetaX.

Everything used to work fine, problem is when I try to run Mac The Ripper, I constantly get the bad sector error.

I tell it to pad, and then another error message. It is pretty much limited to new movies, seems like the studios have come up with a way to make this a losing proposition for me.

Is there anyway around this? Latest movie to give me issues was the new Star Trek.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    2.6.6 is OLD software. Give up on it.

There are many alternatives available that are regularly being updated. There's also a newer version of MTR though the process of getting it is a bit convulted involving some kind of "donation" at a certain minimum. Do some searches, read the forums and you can learn how to get it. Or buy one of the many other options that are regularly updated to deal with ever-changing, ever-newer approaches at preventing backup copy options

3. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

that is what I figured. What are some of these purchase programs?

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Do searches. There's plenty. I'm hearing good things about RipIt on the Mac, though I don't use it. MacTheRipper is apparently at a version 4.0 but it is not obvious how to get it (go to the site, make a donation). Otherwise, there are many good programs on the PC side such as AnyDVD.

5. VTMac macrumors 6502

For plain DVDs I have not encountered a single one that handbrake can't rip itself. Granted you can't queue things when you use the built in ripper (VLC), but if you don't want to buy a paid ripper you really don't have to.

This is on the Mac Version. I don't think the Windows version has a built in rip capability.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

The process shown in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

Is what I follow and it has made my life very easy...pulling in DVDs automatically, adding posters and other metatag info, and converting into a format that my AppleTV loves.

Following this info, you can make it as automated as you want, even to the point of scheduling encoding for the overnight hours.

It uses Fairmount and Handbrake.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

To flesh out the above... you can rip any dvd using VLC and Handbrake. Handbrake uses a library that is contained in the VLC download. You just need to make sure that both VLC and Handbrake are both either the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version.

Download and install and run once VLC (vlc doesn't need to run anymore for this to work).

Then run handbrake like you normally would.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

No experience with MTR but I do use RipIt as my dedicated ripper and other than the occasional hangup (seem usually with Disney produced movies/tv), it works great. I believe it costs $15-$20 (can't remember, bought it a while ago) but there is a trial version that lets you test it out. When RipIt can't handle a DVD, I go this route...

Also, there is a newer version of Handbrake (0.9.4) that has a bunch of improvements, seems to do the same job quicker (than 0.9.3) and results in significantly smaller file sizes.