Constant fan activity on new PowerBook

marc.hermann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Hello, everyone,

on Thursday I bought my very first Mac, a Powerbook 15 (1.67, SD, 128MB, 80GB, 1.5GB). I am very happy using MacOS and generally enjoy the Mac experience.

BUT: The fan of the PB starts as soon as I turn on my Powerbook; not hair-dryer style, but still very noticable (and annoying). I guess this can't be normal, because so many people were writing theirs was very silent even upon close aural inspection. I can hear mine from 2 yards away :(

CPU is usually around 3%, peaking at 20%. I have reset everything there is (nvram, pram, full reset) without any success. Is the thermal sensor of my PB broken?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Have you tried looking in the Activity Viewer to see if a proccess is taking up the CPU's time?

It seems that in order to keep the PB cool Apple has lowered the temperature for the fans to kick in so I've found that they go off a bit more often

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
How hot is your environment? I sometimes Fold on my PB 1.33 Ghz and the fan hardly if ever kicks in.

marc.hermann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Activity Monitor shows that my PB is preety much idling around with nothing to do.

Phone support told me to go to an Apple Store tomorrow and listen to other powerbooks. That's what I'll do.

Cheers,
Marc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.