Constant freeze EFI Firmware 1.7.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miker2209, Jan 2, 2010.

1. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Hi,

A few months ago I upgraded my EFI Firmware on my Uni-MBP 13" to 1.7 and was getting constant Freeze and stalls. I then found out that it was because of the EFI firmware, so I went back to 1.6 and now its working fine.

I was just wondering since i couldn't find the answer on the forum maybe you guys can help me. Have apple fix this problem with a new upgrade like 1.8 of some sort? And if I was to Upgrade to SL would they have this problem as well?

Thanks.

2. hyperpiper45 macrumors regular

Apple have still not fixed this problem. If you upgrade to Snow Leopard you will still have the problem.

3. Smoothie macrumors 6502

This is not a problem with the operating system. It may be a hardware problem with the version of the 13" and 15" MBPs released in June 2009. There have been some posts by people who have replaced the SATA cable and solved the problem. One person actually took his original SATA cable and wrapped it with aluminum foil and electrical tape to provide better shielding, and this solved his problem. There may be a problem with the layout of the cable or the shielding that causes unreliable communication with the hard drive when the SATA interface is set to SATA 2 speeds. There is a long thread on the Apple forum about this.