Constant high pitched CPU sound

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hallivand, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Hey all,

I recently re-activated an old 1.67Ghz Low Res Powerbook I purchased earlier this year and have noticed a high pitched "squeal" almost.

It starts once it boots up and I've tried formatting both Leopard, Tiger and changing the power settings from high, automatic and low. The sound doesn't abate and I'm not sure whether it's a known CPU defect or something that may be fixable.

Plus it's certainly not the fan as it gets considerably louder as I put my ear to where the CPU is placed in the machine.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If it's near CPU (up-center), it's most likely the bearing of left fan. CPU itself cannot squeal, that's sure. Only thing that could – except fan – it's CPU (I presume) coil located about an inch down from CPU. But it would be first case in the world (AFAIK) when it happened to PowerBook.

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

No chance you could either describe the profile of the squeal, or even better get it recorded?

Fwiw, machines usually make sound as:
    - moving parts (HDD, fan, SuperDrive) move or resonate,
    - flow noise (usually related to fans),
    - the sound system (chip and speakers) are more or less activated and finally
    - "the sound of electricity" (think of a flashgun loading, but continuous or varying)

If your computer makes noise, attributable only to the last of these, step back and use rubber gloves (and start searching for a replacement part).

RGDS,