Constant Home Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SimonUK5, Sep 27, 2016.

1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Just bought a 3rd gen AppleTV ( wasn't really interested in paying 3x the price for a new one in the UK)...

Its good, and when it works, I really enjoy using it.

But... I currently have all my media (Music/Films/TV) in an iTunes library on the computer in my studio (the iTunes library is run off an external USB3 drive) which works flawlessly on the machine itself. But when I enable home sharing on that machine, and then try to use it via either my AppleTV or my MacBook Air it will show up once and work for maybe 30min, and then disappear and not work again.

All three devices are on the same Wireless network, but even if I have the AppleTV on ethernet i'm still having the issue.

The only way i've managed to revive it so far, is by de-authorising and logging out on iTunes on all three devices (totally resetting the AppleTV) and then re-authorising the two Macs, and re enabling homesharing, then it will work for a little while (I used it last night, and it worked, tried to use it this morning - nothing. )

Wake for Wifi/Ethernet is enabled on all the devices, the network is fine for everything else. The ports that Apples troubleshooting guide references are set in current network rule set to be open.

I'm really at a loss here, its basically made the device totally useless, which sucks. But I don't know if HomeSharing is just a terrible protocol and never works for anyone?

Anyone shed some light?

Thanks

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Have you tried rebooting your router? I have solved many of homesharing problems with router reboot.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

It is unfortunate that it is not working for you, but Home Sharing does work. I have two third-generation Apple TVs and two Macs hosting different libraries, and I rarely have to think about/deal with Home Sharing.

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme, maybe that helps.

Best of luck,

A.

4. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah Airport Extreme is on the list just to make the local WAN a little easier to move stuff between my Laptop and the machine in my Studio, so i'll probably just end up getting one and leaving it.

Seems now its fairly stable, but i've got to restart iTunes on the studio machine that host my library to get it to work most times, which is annoying but at least its semi-working!