Constant Internet Failing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ColinM, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ColinM macrumors member

Hey Everybody,

I'm having a lot of problems with my internet connection, and I was hoping that I may be able to find some help. Here's the situation.

In the past several months, my internet crashes constantly, though I'm not even sure that I could call it crashing. I'll be surfing the web fine, and suddenly my Airport Connection drops to 2 bars from three. From there it is impossible to do anything with the internet, and it states in the network settings I'm using a self assigned IP address.

I'm not sure if this is the issue or not, but my family is using a very old Aiport Base Station. It's the snow model from 2001, and it works perfect on my sister's G4 Desktop, she get's 100% signal according to iStumbler. While I'm just across the hall, getting barely 25%. I'm using an iMac G5 w/ Leopard.

Another cause might be that I'm using an Airport Extreme Card, and I don't believe that she is. She can support up to b, and I can support up to g. We're getting either a Time Capsule or Extreme sometime this Summer, so if it's just the base station, then I guess we'll need to get one more quickly.

I change the channel on the base station very often, and also have interference robustness set.

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this? It's really stressing me out.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why do you assume that the problem does not lie with your ISP?

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Could be interference from other 2.4 Ghz devices--even in neighboring houses/apartments. (I've had that problem--Internet would drop out when my cordless phone activated!) Potential problem sources:

Microwave ovens
    2.4 Ghz cordless phones
    Other WiFi networks (even hidden ones that don't broadcast a name)
    Bluetooth devices

If you can, try disabling other such devices, or setting them to a different channel. (Supposedly, only the first, last and middle WiFi channels are really useful for keeping things isolated: the others can overlap.) Also, certain kinds of wall with wire mesh inside can be a problem.

If you can't track down and eliminate a competing signal, then maybe moving your computer to a different location (or even rotating it to face another way) may help.

Also make sure you have all software/firmware updates--some of them in the past have tweaked WiFi reception.