Constant Item in Trash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by prodigee, Jan 23, 2010.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum for it, but recently (past 3 days) this thing has been in my trash, no matter how many times I empty the trash or delete it from there individually it always comes back. Does anyone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. jpma macrumors 6502

have you try repair permission from disk utility for that partition?

3. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I tried repairing permissions and that didn't do anything.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are you running Parallels or bootcamp? I have had this before and it turned out it was in the a .trash folder on the NTFS volume. Though I do not know how it got there the solution was to drag it out of that folder within Windows and dump it in the recycling bin.

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

open up terminal, and the trash, type rm into terminal but dont hit enter. oh btw hit a space, then drag the file from the trash into the terminal window and hit enter.

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

When you say it "comes back", do you mean it will disappear for awhile and then reappear later, or does emptying the trash simply not get rid of it? If it's the former, does its return follow any particular pattern (e.g. every time you reboot or open/close a certain application)?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah do that, but i think this method is simpler.

enter this command into Terminal:

Code:
    sudo rm -r .Trash; killall Finder
    this will remove the Trash folder and that file inside and then relaunch Finder making an new Trash folder.

8. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is from the bootcamp partition, I didnt even think about it, but when I did the properties of it, I saw it. Made perfect sense. I am gunna try the methods you guys gave me to remove it on the OS X side. Because I am just so damn lazy. :cool: Thanks for the help. :apple:

EDIT: Tried the methods you guys suggested, for whatever reason they didn't work, so I am gunna just go and do it on the Windows side, hopefully that will work. Thanks for the advice, definitely useful for the future. :cool:

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That's what I suggested and is the only method that will work with the Windows partition. I had this problem and used all sorts of terminal commands and heavy duty file deletion programs. Then eventually I happened to notice that it only appeared once Parallels was running. Then I went to My Computer and C: and found that little bugger in the .Trash folder.

10. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thats what I did in the end, and now its gone.