Constant kernel panics

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chaoticbear, Mar 17, 2011.

1. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

I'm having problems with my pre-UB (2007) MacBook. I get kernel panics every time I turn it on for more than a few minutes; it seems to be heat related, because it gets hot even when not doing anything and the fans rev up to max, but iStat reports max CPU temps in the 60-70 degree range, and CPU usage maxing out around 10%.

I figured that I had everything off of there that I need already, so I decided that I would reinstall OSX using the restore discs, but it KP'ed during that as well, and now I can't get anything to load, because it's already gotten part of the way through the install process. I had already tried resetting the PRAM, but that didn't do anything, either. I'm running Leopard, and the only change I've made to the computer is the 4GB RAM kit I put in it the day I got it back in 2008.

I guess I can't pull the log, since I can't boot my computer. What do y'all suggest?

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

have you recently upgraded ram? If not it could still be a ram issue, maybe a faulty chip. If you have access to some try swapping it out and see the panics still occur.

The temps do seem a little high for idle. I have a mid 2009 macbook and I idle at 48-55*C depending on how long it has been on.

It fairly simple to take of the top casing, give your fans a clean and re grease your cpu. Guides can be found on ifixit, its about a 15-20 minute procedure depending on your skillset.

3. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Yeah either something is bad or is full of dust. But even after an year of use my macbook was full of dust:( so you should clean up the cooling system.

4. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

It kinda came on all of a sudden, but I don't really have anything to lose by opening it up to clean and reapply the TIM. Project for next day off!

The RAM is the same as it's been since I got it, though.