Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Hello,

I am experiencing a constant low hum whenever I have my headphones (Apple iPhone earbuds) plugged into my Macbook Pro.

However, the buzz stops when:
1) I unplug the power to the Macbook Pro
2) I physically touch the Macbook Pro

Any ideas on how I can fix this problem? The best I can do now is leave my power unplugged as long as possible, or make sure I always have a finger or hand on the machine. Both annoying workarounds.

Thanks

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Are you using the grounded three-prong extension cord?

My friend, you are a genius! Plugging in the three-prong extension to the power adapter solved my problem!

P.S. Here in Japan, most outlets are not 3 pronged, however the office I'm in happens to have three pronged outlets. Otherwise, I have to use a three-to-two prong adapter, which I hope will achieve the same effect.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
My friend, you are a genius! Plugging in the three-prong extension to the power adapter solved my problem!

P.S. Here in Japan, most outlets are not 3 pronged, however the office I'm in happens to have three pronged outlets. Otherwise, I have to use a three-to-two prong adapter, which I hope will achieve the same effect.

Thank you, thank you. All in a day's work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.