Constant Network Traffic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fedgrub, Feb 17, 2010.

1. fedgrub macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am experiencing around 40kbps-100kbps incoming network activity showing on iStat pro 2. My Macbook is connected through wifi. This is draining my monthly quota for my ISP when Im not doing anything, only have mail and iChat open. I did some research, and tried Little Snitch. Once installed, my network traffic went down to 0kpbs - 5kpbs and only recorded what I actually used. Little Snitch did not ask me to approve anything suspicious, and I didnt deny anything either. It is obviously filtering something, but I rather not keep Little Snitch around trying to protect my computer from something I can remove. Does anyone have any ideas of where to look to find out? My Macbook has almost nothing on it I need to keep, so I can reformat really easily without needing to spend time backing it up etc. We have two other computers on the wireless network, and neither of those have this excessive network traffic.

I know little about Macbooks etc, but I'm not totally in the dark about things either. I understand you need a lot further information to fully pinpoint where this network traffic is coming from, so please feel free to request what you might need.

Is it best (least toying around - I'm quite busy) to just reformat the Macbook? Run a spyware scanner (I know there are not many spyware or viruses that affect Macs yet)?

Any help you guys have is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

For starters you could try making a new user account, log into that and see if the problem persists using the same programs you have been using (iChat, Mail, etc).