Constant "POP" from line out (MP2010)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Oct 9, 2014.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

2. Pending, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

Pending macrumors regular

Is the pop coming from the macpro speaker or external ones?

ie does the pop also occur with the internal speaker?

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Its coming from the Line out thats connected to Bose speakers.

There is no buzzing or anything just loud pops maybe every few hours since my computer is always on.

4. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Can you try other config to verify if that's the computer, cable, or the speakers problem?

5. mtasquared macrumors regular

mtasquared

I have the same mac pro and the same problem. Every once in a while. I think it may be due to power surges in the house electricity, even though I have a UPS and surge protection. :(

6. Pending macrumors regular

Firstly can you check to see if it happens with different speakers and different cables. Which Bose speakers are you using?
    What app are you running when this happens? Does it happen with all apps that output sound?

7. that salad macrumors newbie

I get the same with my HK SoundSticks. Had my MLB replaced for it but still does it. Switching the lights on and off in my house causes it to pop. Then I got over it and moved on with my life. I think its to do with my speakers not grounding properly or something. If i touch the Aux jack to the case it sparks.

8. richneerd macrumors newbie

Yup my 2009 and 2010, it's normal. I learned to live with It over the years.

9. DigitalVT macrumors member

DigitalVT

Maybe try an external sound device? A Griffin iMic is cheap and effective, or more professional type? Internal audio cards are prone to noises from MB etc.

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a fiio USB DAC and there are no pops with this. It must be a crappy DAC that Apple uses on board.

I'll just forget about it for now and just get a Trashmac in the future :)

11. Loa macrumors 68000

Loa

Normal??? Why would you think it's normal?

I've been listening to music on my 2009 every single day since I've bought it new in 2009, using line out, and I've NEVER had any kind of pop. I've had a buzz from bad house ground, but since I cut out the ground pin on the speaker cable, I've gotten crystal clear sound since.

I'm no expert, but I'd advise the OP to keep looking for solution. The only one that comes to mind is a build-up of static electricity. Do you live in a a dry place?

Loa

12. compute macrumors regular

I used to have the "exact" same problem on my 2010MP.
    Back in the days i contacted Apple about this but they never came up with a solution or reason why these pops were occurring. I never had them on my other computers whom where connected with the same amp/ speakers.

Like others said before i just learned to live with it after a while....but yeah, it sucks/frustrates when a (back then) 5000€ computer was having these non solvable issues whilst a 420$ Dell was having no issues with sound at all....