Constant Repairing of Permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FSMBP, Mar 21, 2009.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hey guys, I was wondering if this is normal.

Ok, so I go to repair permissions and I get these files repaired. So, 10 minutes later I did repair permissions again (I had a hunch), and the same EXACT files get repaired.

And this happens everytime. I don't even do anything in between the repairs (I don't launch new apps or even move my mouse).

Is this normal because I never had this happen before on my Mac?

Oh and here's a screen shot of the same files that do this. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. sexyfoolxx macrumors member

I'm getting the same results, and was actually wondering the same question. I have the 2.4 uni macbook with all updates.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe try booting from the install DVD and then run Disk Utilities from there and repair permissions, and then repair the disk and see if that makes it any better.

In the FWIW category, I backup my internal MBP internal HD (500GB) to two external HDs alternating on a weekly basis. Once the clone is done, I boot into the clone to make sure it works. And then I run Disk Utilities and repair permissions and repair the drive. Seems to keep things working well.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless things have changed, I would suggest against doing this... the DVD only has a manifest of permissions for the system files as they existed on the DVD version of Leopard. Once you upgrade the system, some may possibly change as the result of changes Apple makes with dot revisions and other upgrades. For this reason, it's usually recommended that you repair permissions from the installed system (whose manifest got updated when you updated), and you only repair the disk from the DVD.

I would actually recommend ignoring them. Periodically, some aspect of the way Apple delivers its system causes a file to seem to repeatedly have the wrong permissions. Unless something is not working on your system, I would just ignore it (and if I were me, just stop doing permissions repairs so often altogether, unless problems actually occur).

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

In the OP's case, I thought that it was worth a shot to see if it made any difference.

Mixed emotions about this.

I use a variety of Macs. Fixing permissions and repairing the HDs on a regular basis usually seems to keep things running more smoothly for me. Granted, I am hard on my Macs.

To the OP, you have two differing views on fixing permissions and repairing the HDs. I respect mkrishnan's opinion. However, in my experience I have found it better to do this on a regular basis. Note, I do it from my clones and not the install DVD so that will make a difference. YMMV.

Also, on a side note, when I fix permissions and repair the HD, I fix permissions until there are no errors. Many times it takes more than one pass. Then I repair the HD.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now that's interesting (I also respect sushi and his opinions ;) ) ... I've never seen this before with permissions.

7. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

This is a known issue since the last Front Row/iTunes update (search various forums like Apple, Macfixit, Macnn, etc.).

It's thought (hoped?) 10.5.7. will clear this up.