Constant RPM of 6000 fine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello

I play games like guildwars 2 and when i do graphics are only on 1600x1050 but my fan is always at 6k rpm the whole time as I play. Will that damage my laptop or anything if i have that high of an rpm for hours each day?

thank you

2. imm22 macrumors regular

That's not good.
    6000 rpm for the bearings (if the fan use them) is normal condition. But you MAC goes to that high ventilation state because is hot, and heat is never a good thing for laptops.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Over the course of years it might wear out the parts a little faster, but I've never seen a fan fail in a laptop before. Those things are designed to last a long time, and they are the cheapest part of your computer.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's fine. If the CPU or GPU get too hot, they'll throttle down and prevent any damage.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you did that 24/7 for a few years, it might noticeably shorten the life of your Mac's components. For the amount of time that you actually do that, it's very likely you'll replace your Mac long before it wears out.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have had two fail within a year of each other in my older MBP.

7. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Guild Wars 2 makes it super hot! I know cuz i play it too.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would imagine that it's best to let OS X manage the fans as it needs to. When it gets hot, they'll spin up, when it cools off, they'll spin down slower. Keeping them at a constant high RPM will wear out the bearings much faster.