Constant spinning beach balls after upgrading to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by koo22, Sep 17, 2011.

1. koo22 macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Lion on a 13" MacBook Pro (mid 2010) and have been experiencing very annoying spinning beach balls when I do anything: browse on both Safari and Firefox, typing emails, logging in screens, etc. I have 8GB of RAM so I know that's not the issue. I've seen some other posts on this but not any solutions. Can anyone help?

2. smj996c macrumors newbie

smj996c

Does your spotlight magnifying glass have a small dot in it?... if so your machine is reindexing post upgrade... It may take a while to do this and it's a real resource hog...wait it out and all will be well soon.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Post a screen capture of your activity monitor with the System Memory tab selected and your Disk Usage.

When was the last time your restarted your MBP? There are many programs that leak memory.
    Have you checked Software updates to make sure your current on everything?
    Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

Lion has been pretty buggy on many machines, so there's a good possibility that it could just be the OS itself.

4. koo22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, no dot there.

----------

I'll try to post a screenshot. I restart often, last time just this morning. I'm not sure how to reset PRAM..?? This only began happening after the upgrade.

5. andy.barron macrumors 6502

restart holding opt / cmd P + R.

Let it chime 3 times before release

----------

sorry opt = alt these days... :)

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

What does that do?

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

8. koo22, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

koo22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset PRAM, still have the beach balls! Does anyone else have this problem? It even happened several times as I'm typing this reply!

I don't know if it matters, but I was wrong about the date of the machine. It's a mid 2009, not 2010.

9. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

10. GuerillaTech macrumors member

Lion beachballs all the time for me when i open the app store, where as in snow leopard, it just opens and is ready to go instantly.
    other apps such as iTunes are the same way too.

11. SangYuP macrumors newbie

The only time I see beach balls is when I open the app store on both my mbp and mac mini both on Lion. I assumed this was because it had to load the content from the internet and showed the beachballs while it was "loading" the content. I only see it for maybe 1-2 seconds at the most though so it's not really an issue. Again, I love Lion (Lion is my first experience with MacOS) and I haven't ran into any issues.

12. Lyokokrill macrumors newbie

Lyokokrill

Have you tried using disk utility to scan both the permissions and HD?

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I have the same situation where I get a beach ball for a few seconds while the App store loads. I have not had the issue where iTunes beach balls on me.

14. funkyfresh69 macrumors member

15. rockinred macrumors member

I have the same here... the beach balls remind of the hour glass on the old windows system. I swear this is like running the slow Windows operating system all over. I hope Apple fixes this and gives us back a solid operating system that Mac's are known for. The slow operating system with bugs and timeouts and reboots is identical to Windows and why I left them long ago. I already abandoned Safari and I am now using Chrome. Not a single issue with what you are stating. Try that for starters....hopefully I don't have to abandon OS X, but I can't stand how slow Lion is for basic tasks... such as booting and launching iTunes, etc... It is driving me insane.

16. koo22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Somewhere in another forum, I saw that someone had a tip to change preferences in Keychain Access to turn off Certificates. In the certificates window leave OCSP at "best attempt" but turn OFF the Certificate Revocation List. I did this and so far so good......no more spinning beach balls!

17. pethr macrumors newbie

Wow, this indeed fixes the problem for me, thank you very much. Unbelievable. I almost thew the thing out the window, constant 20-30 second hangs with no traceable cause (imac 2.16 GHz running 10.7.4 with free ram, cpu running low, free disk, no link to running apps, nothing in logs, reseting OF/PRAM did nothing...) were driving me crazy for weeks. Astonishing Apple hasn't fix this yet.

18. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

three chimes? I thought it was just two.

----------

What does this exactly do?