Constant thought about higher res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bb426, Aug 30, 2011.

1. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Every time I really start to see how noticeable the pixels are on my screen like on icons and such, I start thinking about switching the screen to a higher res screen... though, MAN, not only is it expensive but doing it myself would be a huge challenge since I don't have all the needed tools, not to mention I'd probably mess the screen up (though I can make repairs to any other part without problems). I wish I would have known I had the option of a higher res screen when I bought it.

Anyone tried it? Yourself? Had someone else do it? Experiences? Cost? Worth it?

I really wanna get this out of my head before I drive myself to do it if it isn't worth it.

Specs are below.

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

When I bought my mbp in july, the first upgrade via apple I did was the hi-res glossy screen for the 15. For me, it wasn't an upgrade, it was a no-brainer necessity. Going into college, I won't have a lot of space for an external monitor and as all my computing will be done via my mbp, the hi-res was perfect for me.

I would suggest trying an external monitor, but if you have the option of returning the macbook pro and switching it out for a hi-res bto, do it, no questions asked.

3. bb426 thread starter macrumors 6502

bb426

Oh man oh man.... I'm literally on my toes here. Well I bought it in April.... I don't know if I can do that... it would be so awesome if I could though. It'd be nice also to see if that could fix the SATA III issues I'm having too if I could swap it out, but I don't know how to go about that with the :apple: retail guys... :rolleyes: any input? I mean my Mac is in literally mint condition, looks like it's straight out of the box.

I have an external monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2494hm, but at the moment the dumb HDMI connector I bought from Apple is crappy, the text and images are all blurry) and well it's not ideal for me since I'm a college student too and I'm always out and about with my Mac.

4. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

idk about Macbook screens. but general laptop screens are the single most diffucult thing to replace.

you have to open up the enitre computer, the top and the bottom, theres breakable hinges. i ****ed up my sisters laptop trying to fix her screen.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think there are still some videos on youtube about screen switching.
    It used to be popular with the old MBP when there was no higher res option. People usually did it to their really old pre unibody MBPs not a new one though.
    And there are some on the web who switch the screen for a charge. Not too cheap as the replacement panels aren't cheap at all.
    In this case one could go up to full hd though.

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Try and return it. If you can't, just sell your current one and get a new one with the screen you want. Not sure why you'd try to turn something easy into an extremely complicated task that would void your warranty and possibly cause other problems.

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

8. treestar macrumors 6502

The cheapest way for you to do this is probably to sell your current MBP and buy a new one. OEM screens cost a few hundred dollars, $400-600. You'll run a huge risk of damage. You can ask Apple to replace it for you, but again this costs a few hundred dollars, probably over $600. I don't think the high resolution screen is worth it. I was working on one the other day for photo and design work and it bothered me a little. If you want the screen then you should sell your current MBP and get it on a new one. I don't think it's worth it.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

When I purchased my 2011 MBP I upgraded to the Hi-Res Glossy Screen. So far, I've been very happy with it. I wear contacts so it hasn't been too bad with the font size change.

I also considered the 17" and I think they are great MBPs but the size was a bit larger than I wanted to carry 'round.

I consider it a worthwhile upgrade.

-P

10. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, how long have you had your laptop?

Unless its <30 days there isn't too much you can do. I would sell/buy a new one with higher res. Trying to install a laptop screen yourself sounds like a terrible idea to me. I would be too afraid of breaking my machine.

11. bb426 thread starter macrumors 6502

bb426

Yeah, I've had it for a lil more than five months now. Only reason I don't want a 17 inch is because it's just too big to carry around everywhere and it just feels too big. I was almost reluctant to buy a 13 inch at first but I couldn't pass up the higher specs (with the limited pennies left in my pocket, I had to settle for the base).

I can live without a higher res screen, it does make me disappointed though that I didn't get it when I bought it. And yeah ever since I watched my friend take his screen apart a few weeks ago, no way, he ended up making some permanent marks on it from the heat he had to use to pull it apart (he said it would wipe off but it didn't).

I guess I'll wait it out till the next MBP I buy. Definitely going to be the feature I ask for (forget the hard drive and RAM options TBH). Though the screen is a huge improvement over the 3 year old HP pavilion I had before (same screen size, only 1280 x 800 though... blurry as hell compared to now) it still bothers me. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Finally got the idea out my head though after a few months, thanks haha.

And about voiding my warranty I've already taken the logic board out and apart and stuff so (theoretically) I already have voided it :p Screen is just too dang complicated for my taste.