Constant tracking speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CarlisleUnited, Mar 3, 2010.

1. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Just purchased myself a magic mouse, adjusted the slow tracking speed MagicPrefs, a really nice tool over all but it doesn't allow me to get rid of the varying tracking speed. I could probably get used to it in the end but it is very annoying and would prefer not to use it. Does anybody know of a tool which allows for constant tracking speed?

2. VoR macrumors 6502a

Isn't the 'varying tracking speed' you are talking about osx' mouse acceleration?
    As far as I know, you can't adjust it to 'constant' - There's been apps in the past that try to achieve this, none of which have worked sufficiently for me.

It's quite possibly the worst issue I encounter on a daily basis after using osx for a fair few years - why on earth there isn't a simple checkbox to turn it off, I don't know...

3. CarlisleUnited thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the one. You would think Apple would allow you to switch it off... Ah well, thanks for the reply.

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's not useful to adjust it to constant. I suggest you try the SteerMouse MagicDriver and play around with its settings instead.

I just wish USB Overdrive would update with Magic Mouse support already.

5. VoR macrumors 6502a

It's not useful for you you mean? :)
    I on the other hand, have a mouse that tracks properly - if I move it 3" at any speed, I want the cursor to move the same distance.

I've tried steermouse and usb overdrive in the past. As crazy as it seems to me to pay for software like this (like I said, lack of a checkbox/terminal command is criminal), I would - but neither worked properly.

6. cryonic49 macrumors member

Try MagicDriver. It's a new driver made for Magic Mouse by the same person who wrote SteerMouse. I've been using it to disable mouse acceleration. It also adds the much needed three finger click(middle click).

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

So basically you want to be doing lots of moments to get to the other side of the screen? 1:1 mouse movement is fine for small movements but using a high res display like this would be awkward. Hence mouse acceleration. The only problem is that the mouse acceleration is totally ****ed on OSX if not using 3rd party drivers.

8. VoR macrumors 6502a

I've got 2x24" displays at 1920x1200 - and yes that's what I want, accuracy.

It doesn't have to be 1:1, it can be 1:2, 1:50, 1:5.123125102984....
    I'm certainly not planning on "doing lots of movements to get to the other side of the screen", I've got a decent mouse and a decent hand - I want to be in control of the cursor, the dragging through mud/zipping to the corner of the screen situation seems completely unusable to me, just as turning it off seems to you - although you go on to say:....

Yes, the mouse acceleration on osx is utterly rubbish, it doesn't have anywhere near as good a 'feel' to any other desktop OS. Don't you think it's a bit silly to have to resort to 3rd party, paid for hacks to get something more usable? Even more so when, for me, it still doesn't work satisfactorily.

I don't have a magic mouse and haven't tried MagicDriver - maybe it'll help the OP.