Constantly crashing MBP 15" (2010) Refrub, Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loocas, May 22, 2011.

1. loocas macrumors newbie

MBP Details:
    2010 Model, Refurb.
    2.4Gz i5 CPU
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    Mac OS X 10.6.7

Hi all, this is my first post here, and I've been having severe problems with my MBP recently. For the past month maybe, it's been crashing more and more often. Now, it seems to crash almost every time I move it from my lap to the coffee table, and even then it randomly does so while I'm using it. I'm never running much more than Chrome and Photoshop/Illustrator and a few menubar addons. The screen freezes, nothing moves and I'm forced to hold the power button until it restarts. Often, if I restart too soon, even gently tapping the machine will cause the screen to tear into a multicoloured rainbow. Any clues as to what might be up? Here's the latest crash report:

NOTE: I desperately needed the machine recently but I'll be finishing college soon for the summer and will be able to send it off as it's still under warranty.

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

download the Onyx utility and run all diagnostics maybe there is something wrong with your permissions..

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Superstition. Don't even waste your time.

The fact that it happens when you move it implies very heavily that it's a hardware problem. The fact that you have graphical aberrations from tapping the computer implies it's the logic board. Bring it in. No amount of software tinkering is going to fix a machine that crashes when you tap it.

4. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

It sounds like your machine is out of warranty.. running diagnostics is free.. try checking if in safe mode still fails when you tap it all mac laptops have motion sensors and "I'm guessing it could still be a software issue with the sudden motion sensor in the HDD.. it's a long shot but you never know..

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the OP's post?

6. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

ohh then if it's under warranty there's no point in even talking about it just bring it in and they will replace faulty hardware or fix software..

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

There are many many many people who don't have an Apple store close by, and just bringing it in is not an option. If you don't have a retail store near you, it needs to get sent to Apple for diagnosis and repair. This is a bit of a hassle to go through and it means that you'll be without your computer for, most likely, a couple weeks. I don't know if the OP has an Apple store close by, but if he or she does not, a little trouble shooting help from the folks on the board is worth it. Sorry, OP, I can't offer much help, other than to suggest it may be the sudden motion sensor or related to the logic board. If nothing seems to help, a call to Apple Care is probably in order.

8. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Also the AppleCare phone support reps can do basic troubleshooting before asking you to mail the computer in or take it to an apple service center.