Constantly getting "No Internet" with AE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Feb 2, 2015.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So I just got a new AE because I had extremely slow wifi. New one is up an running, but it seems like every time I go to use it I have no Internet connection until I restart it. I go into Airport Utility, Restart Base Station, and it will work again until next time. Any ideas on what the issue might be? I do have it connected to a DSL modem/router that U.S. set to Bridge Mode by my provider.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I would RE-set the DSL modem/router back to "nomal" mode (i.e., NAT enabled and routing enabled), and re-configure the Airport Extreme so that -it- was operating in "bridge mode" (no NAT), essentially just as your "wireless access point".

You'll want to do this with a WIRED connection via ethernet....

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Should I be OK to do this on my own? Or would I need to contact my provider to reset anything on there end?

Thanks

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Should I be OK to do this on my own? ]]

I don't see any problems with reconfiguring the Airport Extreme as needed.

As far as the DSL modem/router is concerned, do you have a way to access its setup panels?
    I'm assuming you can do so via a web browser.

Do you have either printed or a pdf copy of the DSL M/R manual to which you can refer?

At the very least, you might be able to "restore it to default settings", and go from there. I feel confident that doing so will re-enable NAT on it.

AGAIN -- I strongly suggest that you connect using an Ethernet cable while you do the setup on either device...

5. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Why not fix the problem rather than work around it? I've always had my modems in bridge mode and my AE's have always worked very well.

I'd start with a reset. Its not like the AE can't do what the OP wants. If a reset does not work, I'd exchange it.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I tried a restart, actually several times a day to get connection again. I'll try a complete restore and set it up again to see if that helps.
    Thanks