Constantly getting terrible WiFi speeds on my iMacs! Why?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flavr, Jun 16, 2013.

1. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Im CONSTANTLY getting terrible WiFi speeds on my iMacs! WHY?! Same home network. Two iPads great speed. Just tried my work computer, a two year old Macbook Pro gets 19 Mbps download speed and 11 Mbps upload using speediest.net (I dont pay for very top tier speed so thats fine for me).

BUT my previous iMac and now my new 2012 iMac are TERRIBLE!!! My current 27 inch iMac is getting 3 Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload, thats friggin awful! I need someone to help me, this ultrafast iMac is worthless with internet speeds this slow :( Ive read OSX has speed issues that Apple hasn't addressed, but what am I supposed to do here?

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I have that problem too, though I'm on a much older model (27" 2010 iMac). I'm not sure if the casing interferes with the signal, something's wrong with the software, or if the WiFi cards Apple puts in their newish iMac line are just not very good. Didn't have that problem on my G5 iMac, 2010 Mac Mini, or 2010 MBP.

3. MeatRocket macrumors regular

Well this is certainly bad news! Kind of makes holding out for 802.11ac pointless if the performance is anything like that of the 802.11n you describe having. :eek:

4. KaraH macrumors 6502

Just about anything interferes with wifi, especially if you live in an apartment building (multiple networks going on). Save the hassle and run a cable if that is a possibility. Even if it means that cable snakes around a couple doors and such it will be worth it for not losing connections all the time.

5. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Do you live in your own house where you are free to make wholes, run cables though the floor?

If you do, I would just suggest running a Ethernet cable under the house and drilling a hole.

6. KaraH macrumors 6502

Even if not an ethernet cable is doable. It will require more cable and running around doors and such but usually you can get from any point on a wall to another point on a wall. Just look at what the cable guy does when he hooks you up -- odds are they do not drill holes.

7. Adz76 macrumors member

If cable routing isn't an option then I'd suggest using homeplugs.

We use them alot for clients homes where wifi coverage isn't 100%.

Assuming you could plug one in at each end you could then ethernet from the receiver plg straight into the iMac.

Similar to these work well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Anything similar would work once configured correctly, just make sure both ends are connected to wall sockets not extension leads.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

My 2011 iMac does fine, about 30/8 via Ethernet or wifi. My 2006 iMac gets around 12/7 via wifi, haven't tested it via Ethernet.