Constantly having to re-enter Apple ID password

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bilbo--baggins, Oct 31, 2015.

1. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to assume this is a bug - every time I try to purchase an app or even stream a previously purchased movie, the Apple TV is asking me to go through the mind numbing process of entering my Apple ID password. In settings it is set to NEVER ask for password.

I have tried toggling this between Always and Never but it's still not fixed.

Without the remote app to allow me to copy and paste the password from 1Password, it's making using the new Apple TV unbearable.

If not everybody is experiencing this problem, it's worth mentioning I have 2 factor authentication turned on. Is anyone not having problems who uses 2 factor?

2. Gueeds macrumors member

Could be two factor, I do not have that turned on, and free apps set to never ask for password. I can purchase free, never previously purchased, apps without my password.

3. tanglemac macrumors newbie

I do not have two factor on yet, but had the same problem. Do you have any restrictions / parental controls enabled? The problem seems tied to that. I cleared the issue by doing a reset all settings and setting up the Apple TV again. As long as I do not enable any restrictions, the constant asking for iTunes password doesn't seem to happen. Must be a bug.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I have 2FA and so far I've had to enter the Apple ID password four times total:

Setup
    AppStore (free app 'purchase', set it to never ask)
    iTunes preorder for a movie
    Home sharing.

So far that was it. If that IS it, I can live with it. Not happy about the fact that if anyone was in the room, they could have memorized the dang thing by now. But I'm not getting what I'd call extra prompts yet. I have downloaded other apps, also.