Constantly poor performance with Youtube?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Sanlitun, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I am finding that Youtube constantly switches resolutions when set to auto or stops playing when set to 1080p on both my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 6+.

It's not a network speed issue, as we have android tablets and computers on the same network that can playback smoothly.

Is there some sort of known issue with the Youtube app on iOS?

2. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Yes, this has been happening to others as well, particularly on these newly released devices. Until youtube fixes the app, I've heard that a nice working alternative is the app Protube, but it is a paid app.

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

this has been a problem for me since the AIR 1. Its not a speed issue because its never a problem on any other device.

4. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I have the same issue on my Air 2. I quit using the app and just go to Youtube through my browser. Chrome or Safari, either one works fine.

5. crashoverride77, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Yeah YouTube just sucks basically even on a PC.
    Apart from the issues you mentioned this also comes to my mind.
    1) forwarding a video. Most of the time it will freeze the video and I either have to press pause/play or change the resolution to make it play again. This happens even if the grey "fake and make believe" loading bar is completely loaded.
    2) too many frequent "error, try again" messages while trying to start playing a video. A reload fixes the problem.
    3) no volume bar on iOS is just beyond stupid
    4) damn app logo is still 3d at the bottom

On the positive, YouTube on iOS at least again remembers where your left off in the last few videos you watched. This was broken for months.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think the youtube app just sucks. I am using protube on my iPad and it streams 1080p video without a hiccup.

7. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

Agreed that YouTube app sucks.
    How is protube? Have you used Tubex?

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Protube is working great for me. Videos stream without a hitch and I have no issues mirroring it to my whole TV.