Constructing Demi-Legit Mac Pro (with Apple parts)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Techhie, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Been pondering this for a while, but it seems that the parts themselves have surfaced on eBay over time, making them much more affordable to the closet Genius with a weekend to burn.

Compiled list so far:

Logic Board:

link

Case w/ power supply and processor cage:

link

Processor & memory tray (sans RAM)

link

Total: $1,100 - $1,250+shipping, depending on Buy It Now or auctions

I know that there are (most likely many) things I haven't yet considered, such as the front I/O and bluetooth boards. The HDDs, RAM, and GPUs are all sitting in my closet from past 2009 models I've tinkered with, so I didn't include them in this list.

Some things of concern:

1. I know that I am missing parts, and this disassembly (only one available short of service manual) leaves much to the imagination: disassembly

2. The logic board pictured is the correct model, but it looks as though it doesn't include the connection pins for the CPU tray. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

3. What happens if (and when) all of the parts aren't available to assemble a complete machine? Will Apple sell them to you individually, or can the machine function without certain parts?

Certainly an interesting idea to consider, especially because the end result is a (mostly) legitimate Mac Pro. I will continue looking for a DP CPU tray, but they are very hard to come across for cheap. Thoughts?

2. cmanlangit macrumors newbie

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Yeah, keep us updated, I'd be super interested to see how this goes!