MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photos shared on Twitter show the final stages of construction work on what will become Apple's second retail store in Bangkok, Thailand.

EQ-oq0cUwAIKU9Y.jpeg

The location is in front of the Central World mall. The area, which now features a white stone courtyard, was closed to the public long before Bangkok's first Apple store, Apple Iconsiam, officially opened in November 2018.

Over the past year, a temporary wall has kept the very large cylindrical construction site shrouded in mystery, but that has recently been removed and now only a temporary black covering conceals the building's glass walls, housed under a giant flat circular roof.

EQ-owQnUEAAkQAJ.jpeg

Outwardly, the store design is reminiscent of Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park in California. Leaked architectural plans also appear to reveal the store's interior layout.

The plans show a ground floor with the familiar sequoia wood product tables arranged in a ring around the shop floor and shelves for displaying products along the walls.

ERZtqubXUAIcg0q.jpeg

At the center of the store is a winding staircase to the second floor, which includes a large video screen indicating the Forum area and tables with seats for Today at Apple sessions and possibly Genius appointments. There is also a basement, which was formerly the parking lot of Central World.

bangkok-central-world-apple-store.jpeg

Lights have been seen emanating from behind the black covering, suggesting that lighting has been installed and interior decoration is almost complete.

apple-store-bangkok-central-world.jpeg

Given the how long it has been in development and the progress made so far, it looks like the store could open very soon. Once completed, it could well become the largest Apple Store in Southeast Asia, overtaking even Apple Orchard Road in Singapore.

(Thanks, Artit!)

Article Link: Construction of Bangkok's Second Apple Retail Store Nears Completion

Last edited:
Reactions: tranceking26

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Weird. Never thought Thailand would be a profitable market. Are these stores intended for the Thai or western expats and tourists?

Comment

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Weird. Never thought Thailand would be a profitable market. Are these stores intended for the Thai or western expats and tourists?
Apple products are widely available in Thailand just service and supports sucks

Apart from carriers shops even Thai equivalent of Bestbuy carries standard stock and then there are authorized retailers

My best bargain was in Thailand where due to exchange rate and Apple being slow to adjust meant I could buy my wifes rMB $60 cheaper than the US and $200 cheaper than UAE

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006

Thailand is actually a wealthy country, it is just that most of the money and all the power is held by the traditional elites centered around Bangkok and the army. They keep having to suspend democracy because the poor majority of Thais keep voting the wrong way.

Following the latest coup six years ago, and with an odd new king charting a very different course than his father, Westerners are being phased out in favor of Chinese tourists and investors. There are still plenty of Western retirees, but most are not natural Apple customers, and most have been financially constrained by the rise in value of the Thai currency in comparison to their own. Few are in the mood to spend these days.

Thais, on the other hand, feel they gain "face" by wearing designer clothes or driving an expensive car. Most go into debt to create the impression that they have more money than they do. Owning a Macbook or iPhone gains them a lot of "face".

Last edited:
Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This might be one of the most unique stores yet. I mean, there are several unique stores already, but man... This seems very cool.

I love how Apple is not just taking the copy-paste approach to their stores like 99% of chain stores do.

I've noticed a similar trend with certain gas stations here in Canada having unique designs to try and gain attention from consumers, since there's so much competition. The latest I've seen is a Shell station with large, angled Cedar beams and an open design. Quite artistic.

Reactions: newyorksole
Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I love how Apple is not just taking the copy-paste approach to their stores like 99% of chain stores do.

I've noticed a similar trend with certain gas stations here in Canada having unique designs to try and gain attention from consumers, since there's so much competition. The latest I've seen is a Shell station with large, angled Cedar beams and an open design. Quite artistic.

I’m not well versed on architectural jargon haha, but that sounds really cool. It’s just too bad that the average person only knows Apple Stores as being placed in malls. There are a bunch of cool stores in USA, but the majority are in other countries.

More companies definitely need to follow Apple’s lead.

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have absolutely nothing against Apple opening all these beautiful flagship stores in foreign countries but how come most of them are built over there?

Outside of CA and NY, I don’t believe there are very many in the remaining states. I’d personally love to see one of these stores at Disney World’s Disney Springs (shopping and dining complex). With all the tourism that comes through that area, it seems like it would be a no-brainer.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I have absolutely nothing against Apple opening all these beautiful flagship stores in foreign countries but how come most of them are built over there?

Outside of CA and NY, I don’t believe there are very many in the remaining states. I’d personally love to see one of these stores at Disney World’s Disney Springs (shopping and dining complex). With all the tourism that comes through that area, it seems like it would be a no-brainer.

Apple Carnegie Library (Washington D.C.)
Apple Aventura (Miami)
Apple Michigan Avenue (Chicago)

There aren’t as many significant stores in the U.S., but there are definitely cool ones outside of NY & CA.

Comment

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Thais, on the other hand, feel they gain "face" by wearing designer clothes or driving an expensive car. Most go into debt to create the impression that they have more money than they do. Owning a Macbook or iPhone gains them a lot of "face".

Who cares what they buy Apple’s products for?

Last edited:
Comment

siamchant

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
If you haven't done so, I highly recommend you to visit BKK, TH. According to the society, iPhone is considered as one of the status symbols in Thailand. Apple Store Icon Siam was the first Apple store that opened in BKK, Thailand and received many positive comments. It is considered as one of the popular shops in Icon Siam mall among other designer stores (LV, Gucci, Hermes, Dior) and attract most locals and foreigners visiting the country. According to your statement, that's not entirely true because Thai people could afford Apple products and other expensive designer brands. Therefore, opening another store in Thailand would be a profitable market for Apple, in terms of both Thais and foreigners.

Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Talk is cheap. Do something about it.
You realize you're on a forum, right? Talk is what happens here.

The education system and everything else that is badly managed in Thailand will only improve when the Thai people develop the courage to stand up to the army and take back their country. No one else can do it for them.

Comment

siamchant

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
What scintillating repartee!

This underlines my serious worries about the Thai education system.
DUDE..... There are many kinds of international school in Thailand (AP for American curriculum, IB or A levels for British curriculum, and more). So I think you better worry about yourself than other country education systems. International school in TH hired teachers from USA, UK and more to teach and those schools are qualified for such curriculums.

Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
DUDE..... There are many kinds of international school in Thailand (AP for American curriculum, IB or A levels for British curriculum, and more). So I think you better worry about yourself than other country education systems. International school in TH hired teachers from USA, UK and more to teach and those schools are qualified for such curriculums.
I have no idea why we are having this conversation here but, okay.

The vast majority of Thai children attend public schools, and they are truly catastrophic.

The so-called "international" schools are simply private schools that are not so much better than the public schools but charge a lot of money. Over the past decade, almost every private school has rebranded itself as an international school. If you think that any of them operate at anything close to the level of even a public school in Europe, you should perhaps talk to some of those teachers from the US and UK.

Every Western teacher who has worked in Thai international schools will describe their frustrations in dealing with the bureaucracy and the bizarre, face-saving priorities of Thai headmasters. They all have stories of lazy students who fail exams but magically pass when the parents complain. Even in university, most Thai students read less and have far less intellectual curiosity than high school students in Europe or America.

I understand that you are proud of your country - Thailand has much to be proud of - but it would be ridiculous to claim that your government and education systems are not a disaster. Thailand had a massive headstart over other countries in S.E. Asia but, over the past few decades, those countries have been catching up fast. The only way for Thailand to start progressing again, and to stay ahead of ambitious, hard-working countries such as Vietnam, is to be honest about the deep structural problems you need to start solving. Pretending that everything is fine will not help.

Comment

siamchant

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
I have no idea why we are having this conversation here but, okay.

The vast majority of Thai children attend public schools, and they are truly catastrophic.

The so-called "international" schools are simply private schools that are not so much better than the public schools but charge a lot of money. Over the past decade, almost every private school has rebranded itself as an international school. If you think that any of them operate at anything close to the level of even a public school in Europe, you should perhaps talk to some of those teachers from the US and UK.

Every Western teacher who has worked in Thai international schools will describe their frustrations in dealing with the bureaucracy and the bizarre, face-saving priorities of Thai headmasters. They all have stories of lazy students who fail exams but magically pass when the parents complain. Even in university, most Thai students read less and have far less intellectual curiosity than high school students in Europe or America.

I understand that you are proud of your country - Thailand has much to be proud of - but it would be ridiculous to claim that your government and education systems are not a disaster. Thailand had a massive headstart over other countries in S.E. Asia but, over the past few decades, those countries have been catching up fast. The only way for Thailand to start progressing again, and to stay ahead of ambitious, hard-working countries such as Vietnam, is to be honest about the deep structural problems you need to start solving. Pretending that everything is fine will not help.
I graduated from International school here in Bangkok, and I can say that lazy students who failed exams aren't magically pass the class. Some students even have to retake their whole year, in order to progress into higher level. Most of international schools here are qualified and their students got accepted to top universities worldwide. How could you be so sure about Thailand progression when you aren't even Thai? Please do not worry about other countries.

Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
I graduated from International school here in Bangkok, and I can say that lazy students who failed exams aren't magically pass the class. Some students even have to retake their whole year, in order to progress into higher level. Most of international schools here are qualified and their students got accepted to top universities worldwide.

The usual expected result from a real international school is that the graduating student has a more-or-less native level of English, and logical reasoning that is equivalent to students in Western schools. That is why they are called "international" schools. The idea was that the children of Western diplomats and business people stationed abroad would still receive an education as good as in their own country.

What is happening in Thailand is that, although there are some real international schools, they are now vastly outnumbered by ordinary private schools that have rebranded themselves as international but, in fact, provide a level of education significantly below that standard.

You say that you are a graduate of an international school. With all due respect, the standard of written English and logical reasoning displayed in your posts in this forum is nowhere close to what would be expected from an international school graduate in any other country.

How could you be so sure about Thailand progression when you aren't even Thai?

Being Thai, or any other nationality, is not some magical state that, alone, gives a person special insights into the problems of their country. In the case of Thailand, a country deeply afflicted by propaganda and nationalism, I would say that very few citizens have a realistic view of their country's relative performance in the world.

In my case, my knowledge of Thailand and, in particular, the problems of the Thai education system comes from owning three tech businesses cumulatively employing, currently, over 450 Thais. I have been hiring and working with Thais for over two decades.

Please do not worry about other countries.

The defensive nationalism that you demonstrate in that sentence, so typically Thai, is the single biggest problem that your country faces. Thailand has so many problems because people like you would prefer to ignore them rather than solve them. It is a tragedy.

Comment

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
The usual expected result from a real international school is that the graduating student has a more-or-less native level of English, and logical reasoning that is equivalent to students in Western schools. That is why they are called "international" schools. The idea was that the children of Western diplomats and business people stationed abroad would still receive an education as good as in their own country.

What is happening in Thailand is that, although there are some real international schools, they are now vastly outnumbered by ordinary private schools that have rebranded themselves as international but, in fact, provide a level of education significantly below that standard.

You say that you are a graduate of an international school. With all due respect, the standard of written English and logical reasoning displayed in your posts in this forum is nowhere close to what would be expected from an international school graduate in any other country.

Being Thai, or any other nationality, is not some magical state that, alone, gives a person special insights into the problems of their country. In the case of Thailand, a country deeply afflicted by propaganda and nationalism, I would say that very few citizens have a realistic view of their country's relative performance in the world.

In my case, my knowledge of Thailand and, in particular, the problems of the Thai education system comes from owning three tech businesses cumulatively employing, currently, over 450 Thais. I have been hiring and working with Thais for over two decades.

The defensive nationalism that you demonstrate in that sentence, so typically Thai, is the single biggest problem that your country faces. Thailand has so many problems because people like you would prefer to ignore them rather than solve them. It is a tragedy.
It is what it is. Every country has its own problem. In the end, we all die. So it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.