Constructive Criticism Please?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by craigsharp, Feb 1, 2012.

1. craigsharp macrumors regular

My brother in-law and I are starting a review website and we need some help please. We will be reviewing guns bows knives camping gear ammo and really anything to do with the outdoors. We are currently using wordpress as our CMS and I'm not particularly fond of it. I think it looks to much like a blog... But anyways the website is www.doubletapped.org

Please critique it and let me know what you think about the idea for the site and from a design perspective...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Not particularly fond of it" just means you haven't found a theme you want if it's the design that's bugging you. I think your site has a very distracting background, an awful title image, and a poor color scheme in general.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating copying but one website that does a lot of reviews I absolutely love.

Take a look at their format and get some ideas.

http://www.engadget.com/

4. craigsharp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies... I would actually like to create one from complete scratch... and have a bit of world war 2 propaganda poster style... As far as being able to manage content what is the easiest way of adding deleting content? I don't think i have the patience to learn Joomla or e107... heck i don't really care for wordpress either... but we definitely have a niche market and we believe we can make it a success!

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean, "adding and deleting content" ? Addition and deletion of content can be done through the various Dashboards and is usually a matter of clicking "Delete."

6. craigsharp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm meaning an easy way of adding and removing reviews... I guess wordpress or another CMS would be the best route...

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I guess I'm not seeing why you're even considering a non-CMS solution.

8. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I have to agree the background is too distracting. I think the content can be really interesting but would just like to see you keep some "camo colors" without any images as they do load slower and the goal is to keep the site snappy and professional. I would lean more toward lighter camo as the theme because I personally don't like to see a really dark color scheme on a site... the one there would be fine with a little tweaking to get a solid background with images only being in the posts themselves and a logo banner at the top.

9. craigsharp thread starter macrumors regular

We will definitely have to use a CMS... I've looked at Wordpress, e107 and Joomla!... Wordpress was the easiest to get up and going... are there any other ones you would recommend? Also as far as theming goes... What are some great books on wordpress? I understand the very basics of css... but php is at a total loss...

10. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I think it looks pretty sweet! And that BioLite CampStove that changes and iPhone is just SIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!! :)