Consumer association in Spain is looking for users affected by MacBook Pro 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xace, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Xace macrumors newbie

The Spanish OCU consumer's association is looking for people affected by the massive failures of 2011 Macbook Pros.

You can contact them on their Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/consumidoresocu/photos/pb.355514006176.-2207520000.1416444264./10152932064401177/?type=1&source=54

Let's hope more organizations raise awareness about our problem, if enough people join in the complaints the case will reach the regular news.

Regardless of the outcome my confidence in Apple products is severely damaged: it looks like they won't recognize their faults unless dragged to court or because of fear of bad publicity.

Its specially insulting how Apple offers a solution (replacing the logic board) that they must know from their statistics that iit s not effective, and requires several replacements, taking the computer to repair and downtime. It suggests to me an arrogant attitude towards its customers and a total disregard for their time.

2. Xace thread starter macrumors newbie

Just realized that the post requesting affected users has reached nearly 1000 likes in about 8 hours and this is just in Spain. The number of affected users must be really huge.

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Good for them! I hope that Apple will concede there is an issue!

4. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

In fairness the only solution other than replacing the logic board is to give the user a completely new laptop.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Not quite true, Apple currently replace the logic boards with a replacement manufactured with the same flaw, possibly refurbished with the same flaw.

It would be a step forward if Apple at least replaced the logic board with new boards without the flawed soldering.

6. leman macrumors 604

You do realise that they have stopped the production of those boards quite some time ago?

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The problem has been well-known for some time, leaving it until now shouldn't be an excuse, that is just commercially convenient.

The boards could be referred in a way that prepares them better, recalling with leaded solder etc.

The numbers concerned are probably sufficient to have a limited production run made....however if that is too expensive then Apple should consider a full or partial replacement program, or a compensation program as clearly the flawed machines were not worth what Apple charged for them new.

Any way you look at this Apple should step up. And they have the resources to do so - even if their board supplier does not.

Faulty manufacture is faulty manufacture.

8. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Despite what people seem to think, from what I can gather the issue isn't with the soldering - the machines quite simply don't get hot enough to damage the solder joints - rather it's due to the graphics chips having low quality packaging that doesn't adequately protect them from heat.

The reason reflowing / reballing works is simply because the heat sometimes works in a bit of a roundabout way to get the chip to behave for a little while.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

New boards ran out years ago. They're refurbishing the refurbished boards that are failing for at least the second time now. None of my replacements lasted more than four weeks. The original was fine for two and half years.

10. Xace thread starter macrumors newbie

So, did they repair it eventually or offered a replacement MacBook Pro?

I have seen other other people explain that their repair don't last long and after 3 replacements they are offered a replacement computer.

I'm tempted to go this route, but it's a shame that I would have to waste so much time sending the machine for repairs three times. I can't afford it. It looks that this is what Apple is playing at now, the solution is so cumbersome that we desist.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yes. Check the sig. ;)

I've got an Apple store locally which helped.

12. Xace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information, so how much time and money did it take overall?

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

8 trips to the Apple Store. So I'll call that 100 miles or a couple of gallons of fuel, and an hour each time over a period of a couple of months.

Initial repair was free under UK consumer protection. The replacement machine listed at around £600 more than the broken 2011 for no additional cost to myself.