Consumer Reports: Google Home Max and Sonos One Sound Better Than HomePod

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Consumer Reports has conducted some early audio testing of the HomePod, and while the full evaluation isn't yet finished, the site believes that both the $400 Google Home Max and the $200 Sonos One sound better than Apple's new $349 smart speaker.

The HomePod received a "Very Good" sound quality rating, as did the Sonos One and the Google Home Max, but the latter two speakers also received higher overall sound quality scores.

Consumer Reports says that its speaker tests are conducted in a dedicated listening room, with experienced testers who compare each model with "high-quality reference speakers." In the case of the HomePod, testers found a few issues.

The bass was "boomy and overemphasized," while midrange tones were "somewhat hazy," and treble sounds were "underemphasized." Overall, Consumer Reports found the HomePod's sound to be "a bit muddy" when played next to the Sonos One and the Google Home Max.
    All three smart speakers "fall significantly short" of other wireless speakers Consumer Reports has tested, like the Edifier S1000DB, priced at $350.

[​IMG]

The HomePod's sound has been highly praised both by new HomePod owners and by media sites that tested the device ahead of its release. While Consumer Reports doesn't believe the HomePod outshines the Google Home Max and the Sonos One, other reviews have disagreed, including an extensive, in-depth review published by a self-professed audiophile earlier this morning.

Article Link: Consumer Reports: Google Home Max and Sonos One Sound Better Than HomePod

2. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Consumer Reports hates Apple anyway. Rag magazine at best.

3. Relentless Power, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 1:22 PM

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

“Sounds better” is always subjective. Only the user can decide what product sounds best to them. None the less, the HomePod is a huge contender in the audio department and the reviews for the audio have been substantially positive throughout.

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

5. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

"Consumer Reports doesn't have any idea what it's talking about." - Every response in this thread

6. racerhomie macrumors newbie

racerhomie

7. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Better than KEF but not as good as Google or Sonos.

What your ears hear and what you like is very subjective. It sounds like it's good enough that most couldn't hear a difference beyond what their listening preference is.

8. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

9. joshen macrumors member

joshen

10. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Literally every review I’ve seen has been super positive. And somehow, anti Apple consumer reports has nothing but bad comments. Shocker.

11. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

12. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I don't even like the Homepod but even I think this report is inaccurate. All the other reviews show clearly that the Homepod sounds better technically and perceptually.

13. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

CR really has developed a bit of anti-Apple flare lately. Oh well.

14. Sovon Halder macrumors regular

Sovon Halder

15. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

Is CR even that relevant anymore? Honestly if I’m looking for product reviews, I either go directly to industry reviewers, YouTube, or amazon. CR Has not crossed my mind when I’m looking for reviews since the mid-90s.

16. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

This conflicts with basically every other opinion of the HomePod thus far.

17. racerhomie macrumors newbie

racerhomie

Their clear Anti Apple Bias is on clear display.
    HomePod does distort audio at any volume.
    The Google (we sell your info) speaker does.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The sad thing is a lot of people will not even try the product because they don't want to think for themselves, and prefer CR do their thinking for them.

19. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

And they still charge a hefty fee for their "unbiased" content.

They were once a power house go to worth a subscription. I agree, they are irrelevant now.

20. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Or maybe... They're right? Is it just always assumed that the Apple version of a product is hands-down better and nobody can say otherwise?

21. racerhomie macrumors newbie

racerhomie

That should not even matter. Everyone can have their opinion. But what CR is telling is basically a lie. The G speaker distorts at high volumes. The HomePod does not.

22. rafark macrumors 6502

rafark

Don't let your fanatism go that far. It's great to have different opinions.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Of all the criticism I read of the HomePod, both before and after the release, sound quality was not one of them. Nobody seriously doubted this thing wasn't going to sound awesome for its size.

However, sound is physics, and other than having massive powerful amps and big speakers, the only way around the physical limitation of having a small speaker is by faking it with DSP and other tricks. The same tricks used by Sonos and everybody else.

I think the HomePod haters mainly hate the pickle Apple is putting them in, as fans. On one hand, they are Apply fans and want to own Apple hardware; if Apple makes a speaker they want that speaker. On the other hand, Apple has never been good with cloud or subscription services, so many many Apple fans subscribe to non-Apple services. By making the speaker only work with Apple's own music subscription service, they are forcing fans of Apple to choose between having Apple hardware or using the service they have been using and like.

Locking down the HomePod away from any third party services isn't just the walled-garden approach - it downright hostile. Imagine if tvOS only worked with iTunes and Apple refused to allow Netflix or Hulu, or if iOS only worked with Apple mail and refused to allow Gmail or Exchange. The same anger would come from Apple fans being forced to choose.

24. racerhomie macrumors newbie

racerhomie

Nope ,everyone can have their opinion. But CR is basically lying.

25. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Placebo effect works wonders.

But i get it. I bought winter boots for 250€ and i feel like i never walked like this before