Consumer Reports: iPhone 7 camera not much improved

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neebee, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is what it is. Your choice to buy or not. With the tiny sensors on these phones, I only expect so much. I was very happy with my 6S+ camera.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

We've hit a bit of a plateau with camera phones since you can only jam so much in there. Now, the main improvements won't be as noticeable and software tweaks will make more of a difference.

3. now i see it macrumors 65816

"Better" is a word that's the meat & potatoes of marketing depts everywhere.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Next time apple, put the Samsung galaxy S7 camera into the iPhone. Win-win situation

5. brianjsw01 macrumors member

I see a major improvement between 6S and 7 Plus especially indoors.

6. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

Low light is night and day improved (pun intended)

Shoot a low-light photo side-by-side. At least for me is was a vast improvement

7. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Agreed. The move from a 2.2 to a 1.8 aperture alone is a huge difference for low light photos. On the plus (when it functions due to lighting), the optical 2x zoom is also a huge improvement.

The 6s took great pics for a smartphone camera, but the 7/7+ has definitely improved.

8. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

This is a very poor review from Consumer Reports. There are plenty of independent reviews which are infinitely more thorough and they reach very different conclusions. My iPhone 7 plus should be with me tomorrow but I've already compared my daughter's iPhone 7 with my 6 and it is substantially better in relatively low light. The colour gamut improvements alone are worth it.

9. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

I guess the best way to decide is to look at the pictures ourselves. One good thing with these type of review is that there are plenty of pictures from all the different smart phones. I looked at a similar review by Cnet with tons of pictures that someone else posted here, and the improvemenr are very easy to see. I dare say that 7+ pictures are better than S7..

10. bbates123 macrumors 6502

For me I saw zero improvement. I have a thread on this. The camera should deliver better low light results but it doesn't. Not in terms of sharpness or noise.

11. Leon88 macrumors member

What I'm interested in seeing are RAW image comparisons. Doesn't seem like anyone has done that yet. I noticed the 7P sensor has a lot of baseline chroma noise which needs significant processing in Lightroom.

12. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

S7 has been proven time and time again to have the better overall camera...there is no debating this fact