Consumer Reports Saying Bumper Solves ISSUE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...nas_woes_Consumer_Reports_confirms?source=toc

Why isn't this on the front page of macrumors? This should be known that Consumer Reports put this out there.

They were obviously taking advantage of the situation by putting out the first test without using a bumper to sensationalize the issue even more. If they would of included the fact that with a case or bumper the issue is non-existant, the story wouldn't of had the legs it did.

Consumer Reports is ridiculous.

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

No Consumer Reports is not ridiculous. They tested the phone how it was meant to be used. I don't use a case on my iphone 4 and if I had been looking to buy one, I would want the review to be without any additional accessories.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

When they test cars - they don't test it with any performance enhancers

When they test digital cameras - they don't test it with optional accessories

In other words - they tested the phone "as is" which is what the test should be.

You could say "hey - they didn't test it with the optional extended battery - so they lied or under-reported how much battery life you could get...."

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Oh yes they are.

5. Stay Tuned macrumors member

So lets say you buy a new car and you A/C only works some of the time. You go to the dealer and they give you a fan to use for when the A/C doesn't, you would be ok with that?

A bandaid for a defective product does not make the defect go away, you still have a product that does not work as advertised.

And what if you bought one of Apple's docks, now you can't use that either?

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Apple won't even give is the "fan". It costs money.

7. Sir Green Day macrumors newbie

Wrong. The guy who oversaw the tests and wrote the original review was on AOTS Monday and he said that even with a bumper, there were big drops in signal Loss. That's why CR will not recommend the IPhone 4.

8. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Just stop. Consumer Reports is respected, there are a large number of people who won't buy anything they don't know intimately without consulting CR first and they know it. If they had given a good report no one would have said a word despite it's being a lie.

9. Chimpware macrumors regular

You sir are a moron. How is the issue non-existant if the bumper solves it? What is the bumper solving if the issue is non-existant?

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It is real funny that when these iP4 haters got hold of the Consumer Reports article about the Antenna issue they ranted about how this respected testing facility proved them right.

Now that the same organization reports on a simple solution which was known from the start these same droid trolls rant about how ridiculous Consumer Reports is.

Sorry Droid Trolls but the iP4 belongs in a case. In my opinion even the bumpers are not enough. It is glass front and back and extremely beautiful and awesome to use. However a $600.00 piece of glass communications equipment deserves to be well protected.

Also next year when you go to trade your iP4 in on an iP5 you'll scream bloody murder when the dealer gives you less than top dollar for your scratched, cracked and abused phone; when for a $20 or $30 investment it could look pristine.

11. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Everyone calling me a moron needs to learn how to read. I was pointing out that they neglected to add the fact that a bumper solves this sensationalized problem. If they would have added that tidbit, the article wouldn't have had as much sting, therefore they added in this tidbit days later.

And to those comparing this phone to car: grow a brain.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

I think you just wanted to vent. I hope you feel better. I think you'll find that what you said makes no sense. The people who are pissed off in this thread are people that wanted to discredit CR in the first place. Now they're more pissed off because CR didn't add the footnote that a bumper is the solution.

But go on attacking non-existant trolls in this thread.

13. scotland007 macrumors regular

I call Bull Turd, i have had the Bumper from Day 1 and still have the signal issue.

14. Chimpware macrumors regular

Oh, please you are just looking for any excuse for Apple so that you can say this is not a problem. The analogies are accurate, why should someone have to buy an accessory so that the phone works properly?

If the phone needed a bumper to work correctly it should have come in the box and have had instructions that stated that contact with the antenna might cause issues for some users and to ensure this is not a problem we have provided the bumper. Then it is a minor issue.

Instead Apples denies the problem and sells an accessory that "magically" solves the design flaw.

Possibly you should learn how to write, because you said:

To which I replied how could the bumper solve an issue if it is non-existent?

and BTW genius it is "would have", not "would of", and "non-existent", not "non-existant", just sayin:rolleyes:

15. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

OP, you're the one who needs to read. I quote this directly from the original Consumer Reports article:

"We did, however, find an affordable solution for suffering iPhone 4 users: Cover the antenna gap with a piece of duct tape or another thick, non-conductive material. It may not be pretty, but it works. We also expect that using a case would remedy the problem. We'll test a few cases this week and report back."

Guess what? They reported back. It doesn't change their original findings, and the bumper is not a solution to the problem, nor is a case.

16. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I still have signal issues with bumper installed. This better not be their fix on Friday.

I am a long time Apple user, but only the truest of true fanboys will accept this as a fair solution. It will also show that you need to use a band-aid to use the phone somewhat properly. This in itself would be embarrassing and have a long term affect on the iPhone/Apple image and brand.