ConsumerReports.org indicates the mobile hotspot for the VW iPhone will be free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knemonic, Jan 15, 2011.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Anybody see this? Just a mistake or is there any possible truth?

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/496/seven-cool-new-gadgetscoming-soon/

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't have a link or direct quote right now, but following tuesdays Verizon announcement, Andy Inako from the Chicago SunTimes asked a representative during the Hands-On portion of the event how much Verizon plans to charge for the HotSpot features, to which they replied that it will be included in the unlimited data plan with no additional charges. Also, that Verizon's version of Unlimited will be completely unlimited (no data cap).

*Andy Inako was broadcasting live via Skype on the iPhone to Leo Laport at live.twit.tv

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly, considering there is nothing new for the phone, except that it is on VW network, that would be the best thing to do to get people on the fence to come to VW. I have it with my Pixi for free, a feature I use in a lot of situations. The feeling I got when they announced it was it would be free, to really seal the deal.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

I also heard that on MacBreak Weekly, but I highly doubt it. I think the person mispoke. It'll probably be same price as other smartphone hotspot, which I believe is $20 extra (except free for Palm Pre).

Also I think if it was going to be free, they would've officially announced it already.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

6. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

If it does happen to be free, get it while you can because it won't last long.

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

1). If you listen to the Verizon rep's answer, he didn't sound like he really knew the answer. I'm betting he was mistaken, especially since Verizon said they would announce pricing at a later time. This guy was probably not in the know ad just assumed.

2). Given Verizon's history and recent pricing plans, there is NO way they are offering Hotspot for free. They don't offer it for free on their Android phones, and they sure as heck aren't going to offer it for free on the data-hungry iPhones. We'll be lucky if the data and tethering plans aren't HIGHER than their other phones.

Think about it.... Why else would they say they would announce data pricing at a later time? They didn't want to stain a positive launch announcement with the cold reality that iPhone users are going to PAY!

Mark my words.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon was desperate to unload the palm pre and pixi. That's why they included the hotspot feature.

I am expecting verizon to charge $20 extra for 2GB hotspot tethering like they do with their android phones.

If US carriers weren't so greedy they should included tethering as part of the data plans. But in return they should eliminate "unlimited" plans.

Set like 5GB data all inclusive for like $30. But US carriers feel like they would be at a competitive disadvantage if they only offered limited Internet.

Other international carriers have limited Internet with tethering included.