Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
http://allthingsd.com/20110620/consumers-dont-want-tablets-they-want-ipads/

Consumers Don’t Want Tablets, They Want iPads

A theory: Though consumers desire the iPad for the functions it performs, they want it more for what it is. Just as many preferred the iPod to the generic MP3 player, so too do they prefer the iPad to the generic “tablet.”

Apple is succeeding in the category because it reinvented it. Now anyone that hopes to compete in it must do so by peddling products similar to it. And because of that, Apple will dominate the tablet category in much the same way it dominated the portable music player category.

So there is a tablet market, but it’s been subsumed by the iPad market, just as the MP3 player market was engulfed by the market for the iPod.

Consider this observation from a new Bernstein Research survey: “We find that consumers are not interested in form factors that deviate from the benchmark set by Apple. Few consumers, less than 15 percent prefer the 7″ screen size versus the 10″ screen of the iPad . Over 50 percent of respondents are firmly in favor of the 10″ screen, which leads us to conclude that the 7″ tablet models recently launched, like the Blackberry Playbook, are destined for failure. Consumer’s preference for the 10″ form factor explains the lukewarm response to Samsung’s 7″ Galaxy tablet and the rapid introduction of larger screen models in that series.”

IMG_0043.jpg

In other words, success in the tablet market may well be dependent on how similar a manufacturer’s offering is to the iPad. Which is quite a challenge when the iPad is, by far, the dominant brand in tablets.

Said Bernstein, “Fifty percent of respondents preferred Apple over all other brands. There is a remarkable degree of unanimity in consumer’s preferences for the iPad over competing products. … In the US, we find that Apple has more than double the brand appeal of Blackberry, HTC, Motorola, Nokia and Samsung combined. These manufacturers have a very high level of brand equity and visibility in adjacent categories. It is striking that they hold so little appeal for consumers in tablets.”

No surprise then that Bernstein sees the tablet market playing out in two ways, each with Apple in the catbird seat.

IMG_0042.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

A twist to the Post-PC era. It seems not everyone will contribute. The Post-PC era is shaping up to be Apple dominated, or at least very Apple-centric.

If the iPad situation turns out like the iPod situation, then we're looking at Apple's tablet competitors being consigned and limited to the smartphone segment, with little to no play in the tablet segment - the segment where you really want to be.

I would have thought that the Post-PC era would see a major contribution by all players, in terms of consumer-level devices. Hence, an industry-wide shift. However it looks like the Apple-era instead. Which also suggests that Apple over the next few years will extend their industry control far beyond what we would have believed possible or materially feasible.

Keep in mind, this is just one survey, albeit a very telling one. We're still in the early stages of the shift. I'm just surprised because I would have thought that we'll be seeing a wealth of tablets in the market, from all major tech players. What these survey results suggest - although still very early to call for certain - is that there won't.

Last edited:

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Well, this was to be expected. If you asked anyone what tablet they would choose if they were given one, they would probably just say 'iPad', as it's the image people have in their heads when they are asked about a tablet. Apple succeeded in marketing and quality of their iPad franchise and it shows. They also sport perfect integration between hardware and OS, while other tablets still have defects in them by using generic OS (android/windows).

I also don't believe in such thing as a 'post-PC' era. Unfortunately it seems that whatever Steve Jobs says everyone else believes and repeats incessantly. No one was talking about a 'postPC era' before SJobs coined that term.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Surveys about what people "think" they'd get, are usually quite different from the actual results. In my experience, they're often off by a factor of two to five from real life, which makes them just plain useless.

Actual sales charts are useful.

In this case, my guess is that current charts would very likely show that actual iPad sales are far more than just 50%. as this survey would suggest.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
The problem is that Apple competitor's tend to focus too much on the hardware specs. "Dual core 1GHz" ... I don't think the average user gives a damn about hardware specs. The iPad's advantage is iOS, and how easy it is to use vs. Android Honeycomb.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I still don't see the point in tablets, unless it's a full on computer. Such as the Lenovo x220 Tablet.

Speaking for me (and possibly the millions of others with iPads), I've never used a more comfortable, enjoyable, natural-feeling device on which to do work (I use Pages quite a bit), play games, surf the web, etc. Yes, I can do all of these things on my MBP. But I find myself reaching for my iPad almost all the time. It's a fast, smooth, completely polished product. No beta-ware here. And in terms of design, it's gorgeous. With all the apps out there designed to run on it, it's just a joy to use.

It's one of those indefinable aspects of Apple products that makes them so attractive and usable. It's what the others lack.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I also don't believe in such thing as a 'post-PC' era. Unfortunately it seems that whatever Steve Jobs says everyone else believes and repeats incessantly. No one was talking about a 'postPC era' before SJobs coined that term.

We are moving towards a post PC era if were not in it already. Everything thing is mobile. A laptop is going to go be like the desktop is now a second option.

I still don't see the point in tablets, unless it's a full on computer. Such as the Lenovo x220 Tablet.

Most people don't use a computer to the fullest that's who a tablet is made for. The people that pay bills online, or Facebook, and browse the Internet.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
Damn my accountant like mind... I look at from a pricing stand point. If I have a laptop/desktop and a capable smartphone. Why on earth do I need to spin upwards on $500+ on something that I can with other devices laying around. I may consider one if it was $200-300 (And I can get all my text books on it).

IDK, to me it looks like a big smartphone (or iPod touch) without the phone part. I also looked at the HTC Tablet, but just can't be sold on one at the moment.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
\Most people don't use a computer to the fullest that's who a tablet is made for. The people that pay bills online, or Facebook, and browse the Internet.

I never really thought about it like that, now I wonder if people actually buy it and not have have an actual computer. It maybe perfect for my mother, but I know she would opt for a basic MBP since it has an keyboard.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
We are moving towards a post PC era if were not in it already. Everything thing is mobile. A laptop is going to go be like the desktop is now a second option.

Most people don't use a computer to the fullest that's who a tablet is made for. The people that pay bills online, or Facebook, and browse the Internet.

I for one am sick of mobile-this, mobile-that. I do 90% of my computing on my desktop with wide-screen 1080p monitor and large external storage. But yeah keep telling me it's all about Grandma.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
But yeah keep telling me it's all about Grandma.
Quite interesting you should say that. I was certain my gran would love an iPad, and when her rusting old XP box crashed for a final time, I rushed her off to town to show her how much she'd love an iPad.

She hated it. I was rather shocked, I was certain she would adore it, but she couldn't use it for the life in her. The gestures and gui were too fiddly for her old fingers. I was rather dismayed that she didn't get one, as I was looking forward to playing with it myself.

She has a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7 now. She tells me she loves it. I don't she is right in the head personally, but it just goes to show that not everyone loves a tablet.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Missing from this analysis:

How many customers said they didn't want a tablet.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Quite interesting you should say that. I was certain my gran would love an iPad, and when her rusting old XP box crashed for a final time, I rushed her off to town to show her how much she'd love an iPad.

She hated it. I was rather shocked, I was certain she would adore it, but she couldn't use it for the life in her. The gestures and gui were too fiddly for her old fingers. I was rather dismayed that she didn't get one, as I was looking forward to playing with it myself.

She has a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7 now. She tells me she loves it. I don't she is right in the head personally, but it just goes to show that not everyone loves a tablet.

It's not just her. I tried the same thing with my mom. I showed her the iPad, thinking it might make a good replacement for her aging XP laptop (that never moves off the desk). She hated it and didn't get it. She especially hated the virtual keyboard.

Oddly, the same thing happened when she ended up with the XP laptop a few years ago. Her desktop had died, so I tried to show her how good OSX was on my Powerbook. I showed her the Dock, how easy it was to change stuff, etc. After all that, the first thing she said was "where is the Start button?". I just told her to buy a Dell with the employee discount from her office.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I for one am sick of mobile-this, mobile-that. I do 90% of my computing on my desktop with wide-screen 1080p monitor and large external storage. But yeah keep telling me it's all about Grandma.

That's cool that you do 90% of your computing from a desktop but that's not the norm. Laptops have been outselling desktops for years there's a reason for that people don't want to be tied down to an area. Tables are more mobile than laptops. You might not like that it but thats the way the market is moving theres nothing you or I can do about it.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
That's cool that you do 90% of your computing from a desktop but that's not the norm. Laptops have been outselling desktops for years there's a reason for that people don't want to be tied down to an area. Tables are more mobile than laptops. You might not like that it but thats the way the market is moving theres nothing you or I can do about it.

How's a laptop less mobile then a tablet? Folded away, there about the same size. The MBP I have is smaller then some of the books on my shelf.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
How's a laptop less mobile then a tablet? Folded away, there about the same size. The MBP I have is smaller then some of the books on my shelf.

There is no comparison between notebook mobility and tablet (i.e., iPad) mobility. You can walk around and use and iPad, hold it with one hand, work with it from all different angles, etc.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
There is no comparison between notebook mobility and tablet (i.e., iPad) mobility. You can walk around and use and iPad, hold it with one hand, work with it from all different angles, etc.

I've done that with many laptops. Yes, I am being an old fart.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I hope you realize that most of us who own laptops do that now.

I see folks walking around the hallway with their dell/hp/whatever laptops open and running.

Tablets offer some great features, but laptops offer better generalized computer. Its much easier creating content on a laptop. Tablets are great at consuming content.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I'm holding my Sony Vaio and... yep, I can do all of them.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I hope you realize that most of us who own laptops do that now.

I see folks walking around the hallway with their dell/hp/whatever laptops open and running.

Tablets offer some great features, but laptops offer better generalized computer. Its much easier creating content on a laptop. Tablets are great at consuming content.

I don't know about you, but my MBP needs to either be on my lap or on a flat surface for me to be able to work and type on it. It also weighs 5.4 pounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.